• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How long can I keep peppers under pc's?

Hey all!

Gearing up for my first official pepper grow (grew some bells a while back) with some nice strains.

I start all my veggies here in April indoors and get them nice and big, keeping them on 18/6 until I move them to real sun. For my others I can hold them in a vegitative state for a while. Is there any limitations to veg. time for peppers? IE a point where they will freak or go hermie?

My setup indoors is basic, 3x 65watts power compacts, two 6500k one UVA/UVB, Medium pots (I generally use fox farms ocean), with drip rings on timers.

I've also been toying with the idea of do an outdoor flood/drain, as I've got a fair bit of experience with them indoors. This will be down the road though if ever.

Ive been looking at several threads and articles but can't find info on veg lights beyond those who run them full indoor.

Chile peppers are all "hermies" already, so they can't "go hermie". Sounds like maybe you've been growing the other indoor crop. :P

You can keep them growing indoors for as long as you like. Eventually when they get big enough they will form flowers when it is ready. Formation of flowers is not dependent on light cycles, the plants do it on their own, you can pinch these off if you wish them to get bigger before flowering. There is mixed opinion on pinching buds, some think that pinching them encourages the plant to grow much bigger before producing pods resulting in a greater harvest, while others think that the plant knows what it's doing and choose to let it run its course. Personally, I'm in the pinching camp. With starting your seeds in April, you don't need to worry about the plants getting too big before going outside. Chiles don't get that big in that amount of time (assuming they're going outside sometime in May based on your location), especially the slow growers like the chinenses and wild varities. Most varieties take about 4-14 days to germinate, so they shouldn't be all that large with only a month or so of growth and likely won't have flowers by then anyway.

Chile peppers are all "hermies" already, so they can't "go hermie". Sounds like maybe you've been growing the other indoor crop. :P

You can keep them growing indoors for as long as you like. Eventually when they get big enough they will form flowers when it is ready. Formation of flowers is not dependent on light cycles, the plants do it on their own, you can pinch these off if you wish them to get bigger before flowering. There is mixed opinion on pinching buds, some think that pinching them encourages the plant to grow much bigger before producing pods resulting in a greater harvest, while others think that the plant knows what it's doing and choose to let it run its course. Personally, I'm in the pinching camp. With starting your seeds in April, you don't need to worry about the plants getting too big before going outside. Chiles don't get that big in that amount of time (assuming they're going outside sometime in May based on your location), especially the slow growers like the chinenses and wild varities. Most varieties take about 4-14 days to germinate, so they shouldn't be all that large with only a month or so of growth and likely won't have flowers by then anyway.

Oh sweet. I hate having to check constantly. Other crop, not this year, omma in debate again on specifics in our county :lol: Maybe when the proper legislation comes back.....

Back to subject, that is great news. I obviously have alot of digging to do online still. Im pretty excited about getting babies under light.

Does anyone here use power compacts at all? Ive got some T-5s I can dig out but prefer the PC's as they are setup in the spare already over my quarentine tank (coral) and other veggies for the garden that need a head start.

A lot of people here use the compact fluorescents with good results, I haven't personally used them though, I'm using T5s. AlabamaJack is one of the best growers here and he uses them in some of his growth chambers. You should check out his grow log, he is pretty thorough with documenting things, there is a lot of good information there. It should still be on the first page.

Thanks. This has answered one question I have been struggling with. So its on age rather than photosensitive flowering?

I think size is the biggest factor, more so than age. That's correct though, flowering in chile peppers is not based on light/dark periods.

the color of the light to me is more the key...spring/early summer the light has more of a "bluish" color to it but in the fall when the sun gets lower in the sky, it turns more of a red color....

Thanks. This has answered one question I have been struggling with. So its on age rather than photosensitive flowering?
i dont think they are very sensitive if at all to photo periods unlike the traditional indoor crop.

OP, i snickered a bit when you asked about hermi plants. you have to worry about that with the other plant :rofl:

Back