• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How long do pepper seeds store?

Germination rates will probably be lower but you should be able to get some to pop. Just do the paper towel method and only plant ones that sprout so you dont waste your time on ones that aren't viable.

This season I started seeds I had harvested from two different varieties of peppers I grew out in 2013 and saw a high percentage of germination. They seemed slightly slower to germinate but the plants still seem to be  growing out healthy. I regularly see good viability in pepper seeds for 4 to 5 years. Granted seed viability durations vary from species to species.

I find that chinense seeds seem to be good for very long periods of time, while pubescens - as I recently discovered - might not even last 2.  Also, it depends on whether they were even viable to begin with.  I'm noticing (again on C. Pubescens) that not all seeds come to maturity at the same time.  So you can have a hodgepodge of good seed, bad seed, strong seed, runt seed.
Then there's the question of temperature, light, storage media, etc, etc, etc.
Not a simple question.

AndyW said:
A member here by the name of Sawyer is growing tons of plants sprouted from super old, close-to-original ghost pepper seeds. He may have some advice on germinating older seeds.

I got some of these seeds from him and had great germination 5-5 all came up

The hippie dippy seed saving rule of thumb is 10% decrease in germination every year if stored right.

Back