• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How Long Do Seeds Last?

Just curious as I am back again now and have not saved or bought seeds for 4 years since my last real 'big' harvest. Well, I started this year, and my ratio of stuff coming up is terrible. I am wondering if 4 year old seeds are less viable than more recent ones? If so, what do you do with old seeds? Just toss them, or keep them in hopes that they will grow next year? Just a bit frusterated as the season is way too late for me here to start again. 

Then, I have also decided to try and get a few seeds for the Dragons Breath pepper, but everywhere I found was sold out, with the exception of one place, but the shipping to me in Canada was $16 USD for a pack of the seeds. So if anyone may have any decent leads to seeds for the Dragons Breath, I would also love to hear from you and where they are available. Thank you.

If its stored dark, cool and dry space seeds are viable more than 10 years. Germination may be slower and few more dead seeds.

I haven't really got a clue but this year hubby found some seeds that a friend of ours brought back form Mexico in 2013 and decided to put one in the Aerogarden. It's now 5 cm tall.

The seeds have been in a ziplock bag at room temp and light.

Nulle said:
I haven't really got a clue but this year hubby found some seeds that a friend of ours brought back form Mexico in 2013 and decided to put one in the Aerogarden. It's now 5 cm tall.

The seeds have been in a ziplock bag at room temp and light.
Indoors? Windows blocks UVB but not all UVA and with a zip bag you will get almost 100% protection but I would still keep it dark places to make sure they germinate. My oldest seeds are 12 years old and they germinated quite well. So that went still quite nicely for ur hubby :) 

Thank you. Sorry I forgot the details of my storage methods. All seeds are stored in small zip seal type baggies. Then they were placed into a sports card holders in a 3/4" binder and stored in a closet in my basement that *may* get down to 68 degrees in winter, but house is generally kept between 70 - 72 degrees. It is dark as well.

So the germination rate will possibly be a bit lower I understand. Thank you.

I've got seeds that are close to 10 years old kept in a garage in a shoe box , I still bet half would germinate. Grew a few plants 2 years ago from them just to see .

Back