• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

storage how long do seeds stay viable and how to store them?

After drying I put seed in a small zip lock.I then place all all seed packets in a freezer bag and place in the refrigerator.

If stored correctly, they should stay viable for 4 or 5 years. I have got 60% germination after 5 years, which is better than new seeds I have purchased from some seed vendors I won't mention.
I am pickier than most and you all see most don't go through this much trouble,, but I have been storing pollen for breeding for 25 years and have all the materials already. I put perfectly clean, dry seeds in paper packets, which I label for type and date. I use paper because it breathes where plastic doesn't as much. I put the packets in a mason jar that has indicating desiccant in the bottom, which will keep the seeds dry in the long run and it tells you when it is used up and needs refurbishing. I put that in the jar that has a valve on top so that I can suck out all the air with a hand pump and create a strong vacuum. Once the air is out the seeds don't break down. I put the jar in a cool, dark place. Tom

I usually don't use seeds older than 2 years. From my experience it takes more effort/time to germinate older seeds and the rate of germination goes down significantly as well. However it all depends on seeds quality and how you store them.

Back