How long to ripening? Bhut Jolokia

These things seem like they are taking forever!!!!

L7Byu0t.jpg

Now, the average high and low lately has been 86/63

BW3rEQ2.png

Is this too low of a temperature to ripen? Should I pluck them and put them in a box with a banana? Or should I just hold my horses and not be impatient?

Thanks for looking and thanks for the advice!!!

Edit: We just had a cold front move in, the average low was at like 72-76. So the low 60's is a new fluctuation.

It should be fine... I've heard at least a month from when it reaches full growth. The temps shouldn't be an issue in the 60's either. Might slow it down a tiny bit, but that's it.

Patience is definitely a requirement of growing. Note that we're getting down to the 40's here and pods are still ripening.

geeme said:
Patience is definitely a requirement of growing. Note that we're getting down to the 40's here and pods are still ripening.
 Thank you for that. I didnt know they still ripen at that temp.

So, question then.The plants like a decently warm temp to grow and pod out. Around 75-85F being the optimal temp. Less than that, slowing growth a little. Correct?

Once the pod has reached maturity it will still ripen at lower temps just not as quickly, correct?

Thanks a bunch for the replies and insight. It is greatly appreciated!

I've found that at lower temps, the pods will start to grow smaller and begin to ripen faster...as if in a hurry to produce while it can. You'll see these commonly referred to as "winter pods". They usually don't have many, if any seeds, but are still good for eating and cooking with.

Yeah, We've been reaching the 40's at night here, and everything is crawling to a halt. My bhuts, however, are still slowly turning red. Green jalapenos are no longer hot, red habs are smaller, cayenne almost stopped, Hardly any buds on anything. I will soon be choosing the best lookers for overwintering. At 60, you are in fine shape!

Back