artwork How long to Start Up?

How long do you think it takes to get all the paperwork done, get the correct licenses, rent out a commercial kitchen for a night, and bottle up some good ol' hot sauce?

I'm quite commited, just want a rough estimate of the time that I'll need to set aside.

P.S. I live in Calgary, Alberta... so if anyone has some canadian info that would be great.

Thanks

calgaryPepper said:
How long do you think it takes to get all the paperwork done, get the correct licenses, rent out a commercial kitchen for a night, and bottle up some good ol' hot sauce?

I'm quite commited, just want a rough estimate of the time that I'll need to set aside.

P.S. I live in Calgary, Alberta... so if anyone has some canadian info that would be great.

Thanks

You seem to have left out the most expensive part, the legal costs. Over 70% of our startup was legal costs. A helpful hint, when you get council, make sure they have experience in the food industry.

It takes about five minutes to get set up... Really getting going though, can take years.

I know lots of hot sauce makers who have been in business for years and they are still working at hot sauce part-time.

T

I'm getting really lucky. I have a freind who is a trademark attourney, I have a freind who has an industrial kitchen that I can use...I just need some operating capital to get things moving. Oh...I gotta file those pesky papers, too.

I'm pushing a year. Personal setbacks rather than company setbacks can be blamed for 6 months of delay. I also switched products, pushing my jerky behind the hot sauce as the first release. I was motivated by the zest fest but will not make this year and have delayed another month or two (or more). I have found that country, county, provence, state, city, disctrict...the setup process can vary greatly.

DevilDuck said:
I'm getting really lucky. I have a freind who is a trademark attourney, I have a freind who has an industrial kitchen that I can use...I just need some operating capital to get things moving. Oh...I gotta file those pesky papers, too.

Having a trademark attorney is nice, but that's the small part of the legal scope. Choose wisely when it comes to liability insurance, both product AND personal. And as I have said before on these boards, when choosing an attorney, make SURE they have food industry experience, you can gt rotally screwed if they don't, trust me. Also, with your friend with the kitchen, that's nice as well, but make sure you and he are both covered by insurance. Friends are friends until one gets sued for something. May sound a bit harsh, but the food industry isn't all happiness and roses.

I hear ya DC. I'm very aware of all of that. The food service industry is a huge liability risk. I guess I'm lucky in the fact that my mother-in-law used to own a restaurant, and my wife has been in the biz for about 20 years in one form or another.

I'd love to find an investor, but that would add to the headaches. If all goes well, I might have a booth at the firey foods show here in Albuquerque next year. If not, I'll see you there and bring a couple bottles for you!

Excellent. Yeah, we reserved our booth the last day of the last show. It was kinda cool, everyone around us reserved the same booths as well, it was liek a little neighborhood, not to mention Clifford from Southafricans.com would supply me with beer.

Was he the guy out in the hallway with the insanely hot "mild" African sauce next to the beer stand?

I was dying for a brewski after visiting Danny Cash's booth and went out for a beer. My wife disappeared for a second and came back with a chip and some sauce..."here honey, try this...it says mild on the bottle." Yeah...mild...

Back