• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake How many dried pods to make 1 teaspoon of dried Powder?

I spoke to a lab about SHU testing and they told me that for a powder, they would only need around 1 teaspoon to test.  For 7 pot shaped and size pods, how many dried pods would I need to make 1 teaspoon of powder?

JoynersHotPeppers said:
A teaspoon is 3 grams of powder. I would assume you need 16* that amount fresh to be safe. 
Since 48 grams = 1.69315 ounces and the one pod that I weighed was .23 oz, then it looks like I will need between 7 and 8 pods.

dragon49 said:
Since 48 grams = 1.69315 ounces and the one pod that I weighed was .23 oz, then it looks like I will need between 7 and 8 pods.
Yeah it all depends on pod size and weight. I just stick to 16 ounces or a pound of fresh get me roughly an ounce of powder. Super hots lose lots of weight when dried. 

TY - I gotta dry them -The lab guy said I would get a more accurate and hotter reading with powder, as opposed to puree.

I'm assuming you are talking to Michael Swickard at Southwest Bio-labs.

Joyner, it's $50 by check and if it's already powdered then he needs a tablespoon*not teaspoon. That's what he told me anyways. Usually has results next day, sometimes same day

coheed196 said:
I'm assuming you are talking to Michael Swickard at Southwest Bio-labs.

Joyner, it's $50 by check and if it's already powdered then he needs a tablespoon*not teaspoon. That's what he told me anyways. Usually has results next day, sometimes same day
Coheed, do you know what Southwest Bio-labs charges for SU testing?

Yeah - I did speak to Michael at Southwest Bio-labs. He is a really cool guy - he enjoyed chatting about chiles And heat. The cost is indeed $50.00 for the testing. I though that he said a teaspoon of powder, but I could be wrong. The required sample for puree was larger.

This is the email he sent me back in February

Hi Vincent, Yes, we analyze for chili for Scoville Heat Unit.  The website has never actually been completed. We charge $50 per sample for the analysis.  We need the sample pureed or in a powder form.  We can do that here, but there is then a prep charge.  If you have whole fresh pods then we need about a quart baggie full as we need enough to actually get the pods to puree. For dried pods or flake we again need enough to grind, enough to give us about a half a cup of powder.  If you have the product already in this form we only need about a tablespoon full of dried powder or ¼ cup of wet product.  The prep charge is an additional $11.  If you are associated with a company we can bill you, if not we can take a check on a US bank, there is no tax if you are not in New Mexico.  We are not set up to take credit cards. You can call me at 575-524-8917  ext 1002.  Samples can be sent to Mike @  Southwest Bio-Labs, Inc.401 N. 17th Street Suite 11Las Cruces, NM 88005-8131 Thanks, Mike

Back