• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

how many pepper plants in barrel

Hello all, I bought a half whiskey barrel to go in the front flower bed and I'm wondering if I can get a couple of pepper plants in one of these or would I be limited to just 1? It's 26" wide by 16.5" high. I live in TN so not a super long growing season if that makes a difference. My grow list is in my profile but a couple that I might could put in are bhut jalokia, 7 pot, tobasco, or ring of fire. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

You could probably get one monster plant out of it I would think :)  There was a video posted a while back in this forum of a Naga that had been planted in a 1000 liter pot that was massive.  If you plant more than one in it, it might be a good idea to use the same strain if you're worried about cross breeding.

i vote 1 or 2, bhut or 7 pot. 1 is enough if hes a good plant and you feed him good he'll get really big but if you are concerned about grow shortness can put 2.

If you dig around here you'll find some posts and even video where people have put two or more plants into a single container closely together - so closely it's hard to tell it's more than one plant - and not only did the plants survive, but put out a lot of pods. There are varying theories about this being good/bad for the plants or production, but it's something to consider. That aside, I would say it depends largely on the root systems of each plant. Jalapenos don't usually produce large root systems, so you could easily get four of those into the pot, even at equal distances. I'd suggest deciding what you want to experiment with, do some in the pot and some of the same kind separate (whether it be in the ground or other pots) and judge for yourself what the difference is.

I grow in pots largely because I want to be able to move them easily - if a high-wind storm comes, or it's too rainy during the season, I just move them into my garage. I can also easily move them into the house when it gets too cold and to overwinter some. I'm in the N.E. Ohio area, and likely have an even shorter grow season than you have - I would likely have few to no late-season pods if I couldn't move my plants.

ikeepfish said:
You could probably get one monster plant out of it I would think :)  There was a video posted a while back in this forum of a Naga that had been planted in a 1000 liter pot that was massive.  If you plant more than one in it, it might be a good idea to use the same strain if you're worried about cross breeding.
OKGrowin said:
i vote 1 or 2, bhut or 7 pot. 1 is enough if hes a good plant and you feed him good he'll get really big but if you are concerned about grow shortness can put 2.
I do like the idea of growing one really big ghost or 7 pot but also seeing if I get good production out of 2 plants in the container.
geeme said:
If you dig around here you'll find some posts and even video where people have put two or more plants into a single container closely together - so closely it's hard to tell it's more than one plant - and not only did the plants survive, but put out a lot of pods. There are varying theories about this being good/bad for the plants or production, but it's something to consider. That aside, I would say it depends largely on the root systems of each plant. Jalapenos don't usually produce large root systems, so you could easily get four of those into the pot, even at equal distances. I'd suggest deciding what you want to experiment with, do some in the pot and some of the same kind separate (whether it be in the ground or other pots) and judge for yourself what the difference is.

I grow in pots largely because I want to be able to move them easily - if a high-wind storm comes, or it's too rainy during the season, I just move them into my garage. I can also easily move them into the house when it gets too cold and to overwinter some. I'm in the N.E. Ohio area, and likely have an even shorter grow season than you have - I would likely have few to no late-season pods if I couldn't move my plants.
I am doing a variety of containers and raised bed this year. So some of them I can move around. Obviously the whiskey barrel will not be moved. Good to know about jalapenos having small root system. Any others with small roots that you know of?

parker49 said:
Short and sweet I like it :) do you think the smaller plants have a significant reduction in pods?
I'd say two would be crowded in that space that size, so less pods. On the other hand, you could have two diffrent peppers. Quantity vs.variety?

One plant per container is my rule. You'll be surprised at how big a chinense can get. They will grow an awesome root structure if given the room. This plant here will be going in a 55 gal drum this year cause bucket was just too small. The plant is in my basement and doing well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jrSH5ziieE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

smileyguy697 said:
One plant per container is my rule. You'll be surprised at how big a chinense can get. They will grow an awesome root structure if given the room. This plant here will be going in a 55 gal drum this year cause bucket was just too small. The plant is in my basement and doing well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jrSH5ziieE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
That is awesome. What type of plant are those? After all the advice I will go with 1 plant. Probably either 7 pot of bhut jalokia.

parker49 said:
That is awesome. What type of plant is that? After all the advice I will go with 1 plant. Probably either 7 pot of bhut jalokia.
That's a 7 pot brainstrain. Any 7 pot variety should give you close to the same results if it has room to grow.

smileyguy697 said:
You got a plant for it? If so what kind? I'm so indecisive I have a hell of a time picking my favs. Lol
Yeah I have several healthy ghosts and 7 pots. The other one I was thinking about would be a tobasco or african birdseye

Back