free How Many Seed Vendors Give Free Seeds With an Order?

I know. That bugs me too. I don't even print a paper catalog, or send out growing tips or newsletters with orders. Both are available electronically on my site. I don't want to kill anymore trees than I have to, and if someone really needs to see a catalog, they can download the pdf from my site and thumb through it at their leisure.

Lots of places give away free seeds, but they are not usually anything I'm interested in growing so I usually re-gift or chuck them. As long as I get what I order I'm more than happy.
What annoys me is certain seed companies that send "free" large catalogue and other extras with the seeds that end up cosing much more $$ in shipping fees(cross border). Thats one reason I won't order from seeds of change again

Thanks Charles! I remember your order. It is still my biggest order to date. How did they grow for you?

I ordered like 20 packs of seeds from you midwest and you didn't send any frebies but I was very happy with m order from you because I got exactly what I ordered and it was shipped very quickly. Very good service!

Charles

Good advice. Thanks Salsalady!

I don't expect freebies, but they are a nice surprise. I'd say look at the order, and if you have some mystery seeds, throw them in and if someone complains, then just ask them to pass the seeds on to someone who will appreciate growing mystery peppers.

Keep it fun and like was posted before, you're never gonna make everyone happy, just do the best you can.

Good Luck.

Thanks Mipepperguy, chileaddict and Nicole. Great advice from many of you on this topic, and I appreciate the help.

Mipepperguy, your seeds are packed up and will go in the mail tomorrow. Thanks! And I'll see if I can get them to change the link on the seed ordering page. They linked directly to my store, not the front page of my site, so it looks a little weird in the vendor list.

i agree with many others, as long as i get what i ordered, i am happy, yes, nice that a little something extra was sent along but i spend a lot of time researching the things i like, then plan on how i am going to grow them in the a lotted space.

as for mystery packs, imagine growing out a packet of free seeds to find out they are ceyenne,jalepeno, serano or some other silly breed that you could go to your local, big box store in the spring and pick up an 8" flowering plant for .99 cents.

so far, i have only ordered from 2 companies online, 1 gave me far more than i requested and wouldn't have thought anyless of them if they hadn't, the other gave me exactly what I asked for and i am appreciative. before both orders i sent an email asking if the items i am about to order were in stock and i got a reply from both. it would really bother me, if i put an order in with a company expecting certain seeds and they didn't have them, only to supply an alternative.

midwest, just keep on delivering good quality service and your business will survive.

i don't expect them either. i've bought from some ebay sellers and a few other non ebay sites. and yes they are a nice surprise. sometimes you get mystery seeds and sometimes you get laballed ones. which are cool. i do share my extras to folks out here that need them more than i do.

I give a free packet of seeds with every order over 2,50 euro. Mostly common varieties though Cayenne, Habanero Red or Orange, Bishops Crown, etc

I first look to seed availability and reputation when purchasing seed. Once I order, I look at customer service, accuracy and promptness. If the seed I ordered is what it is claimed to be, I'll re-order. All things being equal, however, freebies will give one vendor an advantage over another for my business.

Either way, I really don't see the seed selling business as having that high of a profit margin. If I were to enter such a business, I would do so mainly to support my addiction of pepper gardening. If a higher profit margin is sought, I'm sure there are other areas that can provide a greater margin than seed sales.

Good luck.

Ben

Reactions: dvg
I first look to seed availability and reputation when purchasing seed. Once I order, I look at customer service, accuracy and promptness. If the seed I ordered is what it is claimed to be, I'll re-order. All things being equal, however, freebies will give one vendor an advantage over another for my business.

Either way, I really don't see the seed selling business as having that high of a profit margin. If I were to enter such a business, I would do so mainly to support my addiction of pepper gardening. If a higher profit margin is sought, I'm sure there are other areas that can provide a greater margin than seed sales.

Good luck.

Ben

+1 Well said.

dvg

Midwesternchilehead, I'm glad you brought up this topic. Here's my my perspective on this as a consumer (customer). I never expect anyone to ever give me something for nothing, that's how I live my life. But when I started ordering chile items from the folks here at THP I noticed that everything came with "freebies". I hate that term. I took it as an expression of gratitude for their business, but more importantly, as a way of sharing the passion for this love we all have in common. If the transaction was just for a few seeds or a bottle of sauce for a few bucks, the more important part of the transaction was the joy of sharing our passion. This unsolicited expression of sharing is powerful. They have a customer for life with me, not because I scored a "freebie", but because they cared enough to share the fruits of their labor and passion, not sell. Many of us here, whom we never met, know we are family, and that is what we do naturally. I think if you genuinely treat each customer as family the business side of selling your product will take care of itself. That extra something you send out with a smile and a thank you just may turn out to be the best business investment you ever made.
icon_smile.gif
Well said chileaddict....and I also hate to see anything go to waste as does everyone else. That is why I gave them away to people here who WOULD grow them. I appreciate kindness.

Back