How many times do you touch...

How many times do you touch/handle your seeds/plants from the "paper towel" germination to "in the ground or final pot?

I realize this will vary slightly depending upon germination process and final growing spot.

FOR EXAMPLE:
1. paper towel germination
2. Jiffy pod
3. 3 or 4 inch pot
4. 12 inch pot
5. in the final pot or in the ground

or do you skip 1 & 4      or do you skip 2 & 3    or do you have a total different process?

I'm a noob but I tried some in paper towels & some directly in potting mix. Didn't see a difference in germination rate or speed between the two methods. I'll set some more out today. 1) 6 cell units in trays; 2) 4" pots; 3) 3 gallon pots; 4) ground

What I'm doing now. (Subject to change w/o notice!)

1. Soak seeds overnight in plain water.
2. Into small cups. Two seeds each.  Keep warm while inside.  On warm days, set in sun for 'natural' warmth.
3. Optional ~5" pot or lg plastic soda cup, depending on soil and container availability.  Make it much easier to bring them in on cold nights.  I'll probably do this until we're well past the last frost threat in March.
4. Straight into Wallybag, large container, whatever.  Outside to stay.
5. Done.

I don''t have much use for the big tray-style propagators. Using one means having to transplant small, fragile sprouts.  I like to keep each seed or pair in an individual container so I can move the seedlings outside into (filtered) sunlight ASAP while keeping germinating seeds in a potentially warmer, more humid area indoors.

The plants I'll inevitably start later in the year (temptation will win!) will go straight from cups to to large containers.

I like to go from the paper towel to a 6oz. styro cup, (dollar store 45 for a $1) then to 1gallon pots, then their home.

winland said:

The title was on purpose.

Made you look 
:dance:  :dance:  :dance:

And on top of that, it was your 100th post.       YOU WIN!!!      pm me your addy and I'll send ya a bunch of seeds.

hogleg said:
And on top of that, it was your 100th post.       YOU WIN!!!      pm me your addy and I'll send ya a bunch of seeds.

Thanks hogleg.

PM coming your way.

Last year, coffee filters to seed starting tray, to Solo cups, then final resting places.

This year, I will be going from coffee filters to 3 1/2" square pots in trays (WalMart) and Solo cups, then to their final resting places, so I will be eliminating 1 step this year.

Back