• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer how much fertilizer to give to plants

I have a question about specifically fish fertilizer 5 1 1. But really I have the same question for any liquid fertilizer.

The directions say how much to put in water. But it gives no hint as to how much to put on the plants.

I mixed it a little weaker than the directions called for. While in solo cups I was afraid to put to much, so I just gave a few sprays from a spray bottle every couple weeks.  Now that they are in the ground, that seems way to little, but I'm still afraid to burn them.  

So how much should each plant get?  Should I still use the spay bottle, or should I be using way more, and pouring on from a bucket, or somewhere in between?  Maybe give me an amount of ounces you suggest for each plant would work best.

Also should be be avoiding the leaves, or should I spray them so they can feed that way? And if so, should  I rinse them off after a while?

To tell you straight out, your going to stop being afraid and figure out what your plants are requiring. You cannot add a gallon of nutes to a solo cup, you will flush all but what will fit.

I wouldn't spray with fish it causes tons of gnats to adhere to foliage, we'll at least where I'm at.

Back