• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling How much hot sauce and chiles to do you eat and in what form (pickled, dried. . .)?

People often say i eat a lot of chile and hot sauce. I often eat a few different types of chiles and hot sauce at a meal. It might be breakfast and I'll have scrambled eggs, beans, chilaquiles (made with california chile) , and cheese(cotija). I'll have some fresh salsa on it that i usually make every week, some fresh piquines, maybe some serranos to pop in my mouth intermittently during the feast. My pickled serranos are also out on the table in case i need to add some acidic brightness to add to the meal. A bottle of El Tapatio hot sauce in always on the table for good measure(in case of emergency douse with this). Some times people look at my food and think I'm ruining the flavor, but i love it. So i usually have at least two spicy additives to my meal, unless i made a super tasting picante sauce that week. I grew up eating this way btw.

P.S. What's up with the people that say they like their food spicy pull out a 7 oz bottle of tabasco sauce and dribble two drops of it on their pizza?

I put pickled or fresh jalapeƱos on my sandwiches everyday for lunch and put home made hot sauce on/in anything that I want to heat up. I have sauces ranging from a milder spiced Hungarian mango sauce all the way up to my scorp/bhut inferno sauce. Choice of sauce depends on the food pairing.

I thought tabasco sauce was spicy?????? :rofl:

I have a few hot sauces that I use. I have a mango carrot based sauce i use when I want sweet. Blair's Ultra Death if i want heat, if i REALLY need heat i use 15 minute burn or Pure Evil. :flamethrower: I also have a few various other more mild sauces.. I also have full strength bhut powder, and cayenne powder with some bhut in there too. Soon i will have my own fresh peppers!!

Everyone is different. If you did not grow up this way or build up your heat level, jals are hot to you.

Have you ever reached the level of blah? Hit a plateau, if so how did you readjust your palate?

lets put it this way,i can no longer taste anything unless there is major heat on it. n ot sure if thats a good thing but its the way it is.

My tolerance goes up and down with the chile harvest. I don't have many fresh hot peppers and i used up my frozen reserves so my tolerance is kinda low right now and will have to build it up again. I've never hit a plateau though, there is always something hotter for me that is. I can't afford to be curled up in the fetal position for an hour at a time these days.

I can still taste without heat, but I love heat. I adjust when eating at other places or with people that fear the flame. A shaker of powder or bottle of sauce can help me adjust the heat to my liking. In a true emergency Cherry Smoked Scorpion or Apple/Cherry Smoked Fatalii powder does it.

I lost some of my tolerance. I grew up eating lots of spicy foods. Pickled hot peppers were a regular snack, and my dad used to make a type of pickle with heaploads of cayenne peppers added to the brine...I wish I knew the recipe to make them today. And, I had Indian friends who always had things like pickled chili that I'd eat with them, but most people couldn't even touch without steam coming out their ears. I still love sprinkling cayenne flakes on my pizza.

But, I then spent several years living in the bland midwest where I couldn't get anything hot. What they'd call spicy, I thought was flavorless. With so much time away from spicy food, I lost some tolerance and things that just had a pleasant kick now seem overly hot.

But, Tabasco? It tastes like vinegar to me. It isn't spicy at all and just ruins food with nasty flavors. I like the taste of Red Hot better, if I'm going for a mild sauce. I need to find a good, flavorful sauce. I really want to find something that will mix well with bbq sauce, or that has enough flavor and a touch of sweetness to use instead of bbq sauce for grilling.

personally i find some pepers that Mask taste and some others that "add" to the dish.

my fav is the louisiana sauce. give a good heat, add a nice vinagary taste and adds to the main dish taste!

some thai sauce just kill the taste from overpowering... so i stick with the louisiana and some home made sauce that has the same feature of adding heat without killing the rest.
i just love hot sauce that is progressive... you heat your main dish and gradually you fell the heat adding up!

my hot peppers all end up in sauce and pickled.

This fall i might end up turning them in powder and in crushed flakes (in addition to my sauces and pickling

lets put it this way,i can no longer taste anything unless there is major heat on it. n ot sure if thats a good thing but its the way it is.
same here dont feel bad....

if there is bread in any way i ahve to have pickled peppers... pickled banana peppers are the best also thick juicy jalapenos are always around me
if i am roasting meat it is covered with douglah powders... sometimes it gets too hot to eat

lol, sometimes I forget to add heat. I find it refreshing...I'm eating and then think, hmmmm. This is not hot at all.....oh yeah, duh! I usually eat fresh habs (for now until my plants produce) Fresno peppers and superhot powders I've bought over the year. Oh lets not forget hot sauce.

I've been eating an all raw, veggie diet for 3 weeks (as close as I can get to all raw and I do eat cheese) I'll take an all grain piece of bread, spread some type of flavored hommus, feta cheese, avocado sprinkled with hot salt, crinkle cut carrots, red onions, fresno or habanero peppers sliced, fresh spinach leaves, fresh garlic sliced and then topped generously with 7 pot, scorpion or bhut powder. This is an awesome sandwich....(ok lets hear the jabs lol)

For dinner I do spinach and kale salad, all of the veggies from above, the cheese as well, add soy nuts and make a dressing out of hot sauce. A great dressing I used until I ran out of Brain Strain sauce was Brain strain, some soy, toasted sesame and ginger dressing and honey...mix together and pour on. Another I made was a home made watermelon and habanero hot sauce (thanks JAG) mixed with worchester sauce and honey.

In any case, I eat some sort of hot/superhot sauce and superhot powder with nearly every meal.

I would guess I eat about 2-3 superhots a day in powder form. I also eat my fair share of sauce, but powder is my favorite for spicing up most of my food.

P.S. That sounds like a damn tasty salad 3/5. I bet it would go good with a big bloody steak!

I probably don't eat as much as a die hard pepper-head, but I eat more than an average person. I'd say at least once per day, I eat a meal that an "average" person wouldn't touch. Mostly through sauces and pickled peppers.

nowadays I use more hot sauces & powders than fresh chiles, though alot of the powder is from chiles I grew before & still have leftover. just dont have time or room to grow chiles like I used too, though I'd love to get 1 or 2 of my favorite chiles to grow this year but too many varibles at hand for it to happen...so doubt it :(
oh yea damn near every thing I buy or make has heat to it, & been asked from a good friend recently "why the F does everything have to be hot"

Back