seeds How not to treat your seedlings!!!

This year I`m trying to give my plants a more "natural" existence, beginning just after they germinate. 

I`ve been taking the trays outside at 9am and putting them in the daylight/sun, and checking on them periodically, moving to more shade if needed etc. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, right???

Here`s one of the sun-baked seedlings. What a dope!!!

Jamison said:
Looks like it could be worse.   By the looks of it,  that seedling will pull through.  
Yep, I think it will be fine. I have another 10-12 that are about the same, but none are worse, thankfully.

It`s still a pretty dumb thing to do :rofl:

Good luck with that.

It's interesting, in a way, that if you sprouted them outside in full sun they would be fine. Even if you sprouted them in a window that gets full sun, they'd be fine. But sprout them inside, and no. Admittedly, I've done worse in my time. Hope yours pull through. It looks like the cotyledons are what got fried. Since their job is to feed the seedling until they fall off, you'll want to use highly-diluted ferts, if you haven't figured that out already.

I tell all the young guys I teach at my church that if they want to know how to have a successful relationship try growing peppers for one season, you'll learn patients, respect, love, and many many other things. Growing seedlings is in many ways close to a relationship in the beginning stages. Having patients, taking things slow, and not jumping right in. Having respect for the woman, and above all, never over-nurture. Or over water....

Glad it didn't get all your seedlings Nigel! That Cali sun can do a number!

I started putting mine in sun once a few in the tray popped.... no ill-effects.... even when they ended up being inside for extended periods....

Start them young, they can handle it....

JoynersHotPeppers said:
If you germinate the seeds outside in the direct sun and they begin their life, you will not have this issue or at least I do not. :) 
I don't like you much...looking outside at -19 F this morning...don't think they would make it out there

bravesfan said:
I don't like you much...looking outside at -19 F this morning...don't think they would make it out there
Dude, we just got hammered by a snow storm and under state of emergency. He is in Cali...

p.s. go die under some cheese curds 

Back