• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How often to apply epsom salt?

Greetings - am trying epsom salt this year, for the first time. Have used it twice so far and it's making a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference. Everything is greener and better!!!

My question is: how often to give 'em the epsom treatment? I'm mixing a tablespoon into a gallon of water. I'm thinking of doing this every 2 weeks. Too much? Too little? Tnx

Greetings - am trying epsom salt this year, for the first time. Have used it twice so far and it's making a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference. Everything is greener and better!!!

My question is: how often to give 'em the epsom treatment? I'm mixing a tablespoon into a gallon of water. I'm thinking of doing this every 2 weeks. Too much? Too little? Tnx

Howdy

this has been covered a few times so i looked up the last post and this was my answer for them

1T/gal of water once a week LINK
happy growing :beer:

SRB am I missing something? Can't see anything about once a week.

Peppers: Apply 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt with a gallon of water as a foliar spray at bloom time and again 10 days later.

Cut and pasted from your link.

SRB am I missing something? Can't see anything about once a week.

Peppers: Apply 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt with a gallon of water as a foliar spray at bloom time and again 10 days later.

Cut and pasted from your link.

I use it once a week sumtimes every 4-5 days at 1T/gal the link was jsut more info/reference for him to have.... i know they say 10 days i did read it..its whatever tho my plants are rocking so its all good!!

Can you mix the epsom salt with a liquid fertilizer and give them it all in one shot, or would that just be too much shock to the plant??

I put it in my spray bottles (1/2 strength) and spray my plants every night. They love it. I think it just takes a little experimenting. I don't think you can over do it from what I have read about Epsom salt. I could be wrong, which is not the first time.

Last year if I remember right I used half a teaspoon of epsom salt and 2 1/2 teaspoons (sometimes a full tablespoon) of Miracle-Gro tomato plant food per 4.73-liter watering can. I had excellent results with the plants that were treated in this way; good growth and very strong plants overall. So yes... it can be mixed with fertilizer, but I use slightly warmer water to make sure it thoroughly dissolves into the water. In the summer when the plants needed watered just about every day, I think I fed them once or twice a week. It turned out that I would fertilize them every 2 or 3 waterings in the summer, and in autumn when the pots took 3-5 days to dry out, they'd only get fertilized once a week, slowing to a halt as their production died down.

I used it primarily on my potted plants, though--mainly because it was such a PITA to fertilize the garden plants. Garden plants would probably need a bit more of both epsom salt and fertilizer, too.

I put it in my spray bottles (1/2 strength) and spray my plants every night. They love it. I think it just takes a little experimenting. I don't think you can over do it from what I have read about Epsom salt. I could be wrong, which is not the first time.

i remember AJ (i think?) stating a while back that if you overdo it, you can inhibit nutrient intake because of the resulting high magnesium content of the soil.

i remember AJ (i think?) stating a while back that if you overdo it, you can inhibit nutrient intake because of the resulting high magnesium content of the soil.

I'm a newbie grower and I don't understand. Everyone seems to recommend using a lower dose of ferts than the brand recommends, especially in pots/containers. So if Epsom are recommending :Apply 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt with a gallon of water as a foliar spray at bloom time and again 10 days later. Why apply on a weekly basis?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just trying to find out why Epsom salts are the exception to the rule. I only want the best for my plants as we all do.

Edit for typo

Back