• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How soon can I transplant?

One of my seedlings has only 1 set of true leaves. I've decided to keep it for my indoor grow and will be putting it into a 5 gallon bucket. Can I go ahead and transplant it now, or is there some danger in it not surviving because it is too young?

Just one set of true leaves for a 5 gallon bucket is not necessary. My advice is wait till it gets 3-4 sets of leaves then pot up into a larger pot.

The biggest problems with putting it in a 5 gallon right away: It will be easy to overwater and water will flush a lot of the nutrients out of the soil before the roots even touch it. Unless it is in a jiffy pellet, rapid rooter, etc I wouldn't pot it up. Some people go directly to 5 gallon or the ground and have no issues.

I usually do jiffy pellet until it sprouts, solo cup until roots are coming out of the bottom, #1 pot until it is ready for the ground/the final pot up.

I have heard that when the plant is as tall as the soil is deep, then its about time to transplant. Pot size is up to you but its probably best to pot up little by little. Thats how i do it. It keeps me involved which i like :)

Back