• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling How the hell does Claussen pack and seal pickles by never heating the jar?

As I was munching on a Claussen pickle over the weekend, I tilted my head and wondered to myself, how do they seal the jar if it's "Always Refrigerated" and "Never Heated"...

how else would you get the jar to seal?

vacuum...  think of vac-pack systems that have the jar attachment.... :shrug:

Heh - look at the label. The salt content for 1/4" Kosher Dill Chips is listed as < 2,400mg for a single serving of 4 slices. That could mean 2,399mg for the four. Salt, salt, salt, and salt!

Look up raw pack/cold pack. Tabasco isn't hot packed either. ;)

Anne don't whitewash it.
You see when the first man walked on the moon they also had another mission. They contained and returned with 1 cubic yard of space. Every jar of dill pickles gets 2 cubic micrometers of this space added for that vacuum. Every jar of bread and butter pickles gets 1. By 2016 the original cubic yard will be used up, but that is fine because science will save the pickle. One of 2014's most overlooked achievements was the invention of anti blonding equipment. The new equipment and technology allows vacuum to be removed from the heads of true blondes, sterilized, and then reused in the food industry. So you have until the end of 2016 to enjoy the wonderful taste of space vacuumed pickles. Mmmmmmmmm

Back