• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning How to clone pepper plants using the AeroGarden

You have some great vids. They are really helpful in terms of seeing practical methods of doing things.
May I ask why you sometimes wear gloves?

MrGlen said:
You have some great vids. They are really helpful in terms of seeing practical methods of doing things.
May I ask why you sometimes wear gloves?
Thanks for watching! In this video, I wore gloves to more or less to keep things clean. I could have not worn them here and been fine. If I'm working with potting mix, or nutes like in some other videos it's just to keep it off my hands. And sometimes I wear them when cutting or handling superhots. I buy the big mega boxes of them from Sams, so have plenty if I think they might help, lol.

Pete, Thank you for the great vid. I was trying to find some Non-cannabis based video for doing exactly this. My motivation for wanting to do this is in the case I have a plant that throws some really nice pods, but I dont have room to O.W. Ill use this exact method to keep that plant alive in a way. The first plant that I choose (the mother) will have a nice grow rate, great pod production as well as flavorful pods. I wont have to worry about cross pollination as these will be cuttings from the mother plant and not seed from the fruits. at least this is my understanding of how and why this works. Am I correct in believing so?

Peter S said:
I'm having great success cloning plants using the AeroGarden. The same principles can be applied to other growing systems and methods (such as Kratky).
Hey Peter,

I see you have what appears to be a support for the plants, is that part of your aerogarden kit?

Blitz527 said:
Pete, Thank you for the great vid. I was trying to find some Non-cannabis based video for doing exactly this. My motivation for wanting to do this is in the case I have a plant that throws some really nice pods, but I dont have room to O.W. Ill use this exact method to keep that plant alive in a way. The first plant that I choose (the mother) will have a nice grow rate, great pod production as well as flavorful pods. I wont have to worry about cross pollination as these will be cuttings from the mother plant and not seed from the fruits. at least this is my understanding of how and why this works. Am I correct in believing so?
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, you are correct. It will be an exact clone of the mother plant. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Hey Peter,

I see you have what appears to be a support for the plants, is that part of your aerogarden kit?
Yes, it came with it. I'm not sure which models they come with, but this is one is a Bounty.

Great video.  I got to get me an Aerogarden.  I was watching your "How to start lettuce seeds" video and I see you have three of them bad boys.  Did you do the buy three for $300+ deal?

bpiela said:
Great video.  I got to get me an Aerogarden.  I was watching your "How to start lettuce seeds" video and I see you have three of them bad boys.  Did you do the buy three for $300+ deal?

Actually have four, lol. I got the deal with free Sprout with purchase of Bounty. Then later bought two used ones through Goodwill. Those are pretty old 2007-2008 but they work fine.

Question on the seed starting.  Not trying to hijack thread.  I use those BioDome things already because I start my seeds in an actual BioDome.  But, I really only add tap water and put it on a heating mat.  I did good but not great.  Wondering if I should be using a Master Grow liquid mix instead of just plain old water..  It seems like the BioDome is a form of Kratky hydro, isn't it kinda?

bpiela said:
Question on the seed starting.  Not trying to hijack thread.  I use those BioDome things already because I start my seeds in an actual BioDome.  But, I really only add tap water and put it on a heating mat.  I did good but not great.  Wondering if I should be using a Master Grow liquid mix instead of just plain old water..  It seems like the BioDome is a form of Kratky hydro, isn't it kinda?
I haven't used the actual BioDome, not sure how it's setup to work. I've tried their sponges though with both AeroGarden and Kratky methods and the seeds germinated and sprouted just fine. This is with a Masterblend, epsom salt, Calcium Nitrate mix at a strength of around 550ppm/1.2EC. Had no issues, and sprouts grew really well. I recently watched a video from BA Kratky of him growing watergress with his method, and he had an even higher strength solution, I think closer to 1000 ppm and that worked. I love the biodome sponges, and they're way cheaper than the plugs that AeroGrow makes. The biodome ones seem to work better too.

Edit:
Here's a pic of some Tiny Tim tomato sprouts coming up , that I started in biodome sponges, using AG baskets in a coffee can.

HR2FWeuh.jpg

Peter S said:

Actually have four, lol. I got the deal with free Sprout with purchase of Bounty. Then later bought two used ones through Goodwill. Those are pretty old 2007-2008 but they work fine.

I just picked up a 2009 model off of Craigslist for $25.  Seems like it works.  Do they use standard pods/domes/etc?  Where do you buy this kinda stuff?

bpiela said:

I just picked up a 2009 model off of Craigslist for $25.  Seems like it works.  Do they use standard pods/domes/etc?  Where do you buy this kinda stuff?

It depends. My old Classic 7 uses shorter pods. The normal size pods will fit some of the holes, but on the shallow end they won't. They can be adjusted to fit though. You can order the baskets on the aerogrow site or Amazon. I would check both to see which is the cheapest. The domes should fit both.

Back