• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How to get plants to grow taller and minimize bushiness?

I have a limited amount of space and a lot of types of bhut jolokia (white, chocolate, red, yellow, peach) how do I keep them from growing wider while letting them grow taller?

i imagine you could train and prune them, i would imagine. i like my plants both bushy as well as tall, so i don't have advice on exactly how to do what you want to do. good luck and happy growing. 

There is a member here from Italy.  His name escapes me now (hopefully another member knows who I'm talking about).  But he trains his plants vertically by, I think, tying the branches together.  He gets enormous yields too.

This guy?
canonsx028.jpg

User name Luigi il Messicano

I would say its better to grow bushy than tall unless you know how to train your plants like compmodder mentioned above because bushier equals more nodes and more nodes means more peppers

I'm going to try that on my balcony plants if they get too wide. I'm not sure exactly how to go about it, but I'll try.

you have to train the branches at a very young stage or you will risk breaking them if they are too tough

If I remember correctly he trains them on lines/ropes so they spread out but stay weak enough to eventually get put up like that.

pshngo said:
you have to train the branches at a very young stage or you will risk breaking them if they are too tough
you can use bonsai wires to do it, I done it to juniper branches thicker than any pepper branch would get.

I have 5+

peach bhut jolokia
yellow bhut jolokia
red bhut jolokia
chocolate bhut jolokia
white bhut jolokia
blue mystery (grows 5' tall 6' wide)
datil
barrackpore 7 pod
original 7 pod
red savina habanero
thai bird's eye chili