• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

yield How to increase my germination yield and how to harvest seeds

Hi, I've been growing chillies for a couple of years now for a hobbie, but this year I wanted to take it a bit more seriously.

I have 2 goals this year:
  1. To understand and improve my yield
  2. To harvest seeds from this year's results to be sown next year.
Earlier in the year I bought a variety of seeds online and, in order to test the seed harvesting, I harvested some seeds from some Finger chillies that I bought from Lidl. I havested the seeds immediately after I bought the chillies and stored them in a cool, dark place with all my other seeds.

I planted the seeds about 3 weeks ago using some Miracle-Gro multi-purpose compost and placed them in a heated propergator (see photos). I've watered the chillies most days but not if I felt they already looked quite wet. The propergator has been placed indoors, in front of some French doors that face South.

I've calculated my germination yield (shoots vs seeds planted) as:

Scotch Bonnet Red - 33%
Red Birds Eye - 22.5%
Cayenne - 19%
Basket of Fire - 7.5%
Harvested Finger - 0%

In respect of my goals this year, I would like to ask the group 2 questions.

Does anyone have any tips for how I can increase my germination yield, particularly with the Basket of Fire which seems quite low compared to the others?
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong with my seed harvesting? I must be doing something wrong because I don't have a single shoot of the finger chillies and I really want to harvest some seeds from my plants to sow next year.

PXL_20230406_104539533.jpg
PXL_20230406_104549643.jpg

PXL_20230406_104220729.jpg

Hi, I've been growing chillies for a couple of years now for a hobbie, but this year I wanted to take it a bit more seriously.

I have 2 goals this year:
  1. To understand and improve my yield
  2. To harvest seeds from this year's results to be sown next year.
Earlier in the year I bought a variety of seeds online and, in order to test the seed harvesting, I harvested some seeds from some Finger chillies that I bought from Lidl. I havested the seeds immediately after I bought the chillies and stored them in a cool, dark place with all my other seeds.

I planted the seeds about 3 weeks ago using some Miracle-Gro multi-purpose compost and placed them in a heated propergator (see photos). I've watered the chillies most days but not if I felt they already looked quite wet. The propergator has been placed indoors, in front of some French doors that face South.

I've calculated my germination yield (shoots vs seeds planted) as:

Scotch Bonnet Red - 33%
Red Birds Eye - 22.5%
Cayenne - 19%
Basket of Fire - 7.5%
Harvested Finger - 0%

In respect of my goals this year, I would like to ask the group 2 questions.

Does anyone have any tips for how I can increase my germination yield, particularly with the Basket of Fire which seems quite low compared to the others?
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong with my seed harvesting? I must be doing something wrong because I don't have a single shoot of the finger chillies and I really want to harvest some seeds from my plants to sow next year.

PXL_20230406_104539533.jpg
PXL_20230406_104549643.jpg

PXL_20230406_104220729.jpg

I have problems with really fresh seeds too. I don't know what the biology is either. Do they need to see a dry period (drying out) or something? Could we be looking at genetically modified or crossed to the point of inviability? Hope you figure something out and will let us know what you work out.

I switched to all Coco Coir pellets this year, & will never go back to soil for starting my seeds again.
I've seen this around, and coir has no nutrients in it right? Will the seedlings grow their first true leaves in the nutrient-less coir or do they need to be transplanted before that? (or could I just spray some diluted maxi grow on them?) Thanks

I've seen this around, and coir has no nutrients in it right? Will the seedlings grow their first true leaves in the nutrient-less coir or do they need to be transplanted before that? (or could I just spray some diluted maxi grow on them?) Thanks
Over the years I have seen fungus virial, & bacteria will grow on anything edible, compost, peat moss, dirt. Anything edible that bugs & bacteria can use for living & breeding in. Coir is sterile & at a 1/2 dose of an inorganic fertilizer. 😮 Yes I'm Organic & have gallons of fish fertilizer with Seaweed extract for my liquid fertilizer needs however they will feed problems at first.

This is when I first fed the seedlings. They seemed healthy & growing well.

1688558693206.png

Once they took off they were planted in 4.5" pots with rich Organic soil.
No longer worried about Bugs etc. killing off the emerging seedlings.
1688558935759.png

What did I learn? Seeds started in a plain tasteless base Coco Coir & fed with an artificial fertilizer at first will not feed problems like
organic fertilizers and works great. You can get best prices @ :https://dir.indiamart.com/search.mp?ss=coco+coir+pellets&prdsrc=1&stype=attr=1|attrS&res=RC3

Last edited:
Back