how to keep plants smaller- limited space issues

im going to start germinating soon and wanted to know if its possible to keep pepper plants(bhut, scorpions, reapers, hab)  smaller by using smaller pots.  maybe a 2-3 gallon?  Or is topping a better option?

i would like to keep them around 4 ft  height and diameter....

any info on this is appreciated

ps, the only reason id like to stay smaller is its my first time using this garden setup (new house)  and i want to see how all my other veggies are going to fill in the space i have allocated for gardening.

I had 2 - 7 Pot Barrackpores last year (actually, still this year, they are still growing strong here in south FL), I pruned 1 twice during the growing, to where I just left 1 leaf on it, & I let the other 7 - Pot grow natural. The natural one started producing peppers much much earlier, and has grown close to 5' tall, the one I pruned didn't start producing peppers til just 4 weeks ago, but it has to have at least 200 blooms on it w/ 15- 20 peppers riping, and it only got a little over 3' tall, but a lot bushier. The natural one is still blooming, but NOT even close to the amount the pruned one has. Hope that helps!

I doubt your plant would get 4' in a 2-3 gallon pot unless you gave it a ton of fertilizer. In a 5 gallon pot, yes, that would do what you want.

Also, you can prune a pepper plant. I do it all the time.

Thanks, so using a smaller pot will help limit the plant size? If so I'll just use them and let the plant go.

small pot---stunned growth
i had some strains in small pots and they grew about the same height as the same strains in bigger pots!
but the ones in the smaller pots didnt grow as bushy as the ones in 20 liter pots (5gallon)

Back