• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How to plant sprouting seeds?

Hi,

I have 2 questions about something I never have done before.

I know this sounds stupid but I never sprouted any seed on damp napkins. So I am starting to see a sprout growing out of a couple of  the Trinidad Congo and Fatalii seeds. When I put these into ProMix I assume the sprout will be the stalk and NOT the roots. Is that correct? 

And assuming that is right, I would think just laying the seed on it's side vs trying to orient the sprout up is OK, is that correct?

Normally I just start them in ProMix and the seed does it's thing. After doing a germination test for 30 days in ProMix last fall I was hoping for faster germination using this method but the time seems to be about the same for these 2 varieties.

Thanks! 

rickster said:
the sprout will be the roots. i just lightly cover with soil and the seed knows what to do. 
Thank you Sir! I was wrong but like I said I never used this method so I thought it was worth asking for advice. I have heard of people planting bulbs with the root side up, garlic and tulips, and I know that is wrong so rather than assume I wanted to ask. Thanks again!  :dance:

rockstar has nailed it. I find it easy to pick up the seed on the point of a kitchen knife and deposit it in a small hole in the growing medium, sprout side down of course.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Neither have I but found this.> Started germination, putting in cup.
Thanks. I'm all set, I know what to do now as I have grown hot peppers from seed. I was just uncertain with this sprout as I never did it this way. This morning I did see tiny root hairs coming out of the sprout so had I waited 1 day I wouldn't even asked. 

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Back