• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How to root Lemon Drop cuttings

I have 3 Lemon Drop cuttings from last season in my refrigerator. They have been there since early October.

Can I assume that they have life left in them, as the sticks are green and have not deteriorated?

What is the best way to try and root them?

My growing season starts the 3rd week of May. When should I try to root them?

Thanks

ive never heard of anything other than a plant tissue culture lasting that long and still being viable. are the leaves still in good condition/turgid?

I haven't tried peppers from cuttings myself, but think I have seen a couple threads on the topic. I'd suggest Googling Rootone - might be a good thing to get - plus you might find more info on rooting cuttings.

Based on the cuttings I have done, though, you might want to trim off all but a few leaves, if any remain at this point - let the plant focus on developing roots. I haven't rooted anything I didn't immediately cut, though, so am wondering about the cut end - is it better to re-cut it now or leave it alone? When rooting my basil, it attempted to heal the cut end before it produced a root, so possibly re-cutting isn't necessary - it seems like that would be duplicating effort that's already been exerted. Hope this adventure works out well for you!

Here is a pretty good video on Asexual Propagation. I am pretty sure they use the because cloning gel...It doesn't need to be that brand but you will want to get cloning gel.

I do not know if your cuttings will still be viable or not. I thought you wanted to use the cuttings almost immediately. Even on the video they make a point to say that. Cloning gel can be pretty expensive so I am not sure if it is worth the risk to you or not. While you don't need the gel it really helps your chances of taking roots.

Starting with cuttings can save you around 3 to 6 weeks of grow time compared to seeds. So, if you are planning on holding out longer(which I think will only lessen your chances for the cuttings to take root), you will want to start about 3 or 4 weeks after you would start your seeds to be on the safe side.

I'll take a look at Rootone and other similar products.

There are no leaves at all - just sticks. They have been sealed (not really airtight but well enclosed) in a Ziploc. I'll let you know how it works out.

when i try to clone, i stick them in soil or whatever medium i can get my hands on immediately coz with peppers and herbs that i clone, they don't take if they don't get whatever moisture level they need to get to grow roots.

Back