How to smoke without a smoker?

I'm looking for ideas on how to smoke without a smoker. I have a run-of-the-mill gas grille, and I want to smoke Douglahs next year for a BBQ sauce. I'm sure there is some way for me to do this, but I'm not sure where I should be placing the wood chips. Should I soak them? Please, help a noob out!

Soak them, loosely wrap in foil, poke 3-4 dime size holes on the top. Put on one side of your grill (or over one burner) with the fire on low depending on your grill.
Put whatever your smoking on the other side of the grill with no fire "indirect cooking". And don't open the lid for at least 2-3 hours, keep the smoke in the grill!!!
This should get you started, but there's no "fool proof way to smoke on a grill because every grill is different.
Trial and error is a must, so do a couple runs with store bought Jalapenos first.
You don't want to ruin your Douglahs right off the bat...
Good Luck!

Soak them, loosely wrap in foil, poke 3-4 dime size holes on the top. Put on one side of your grill (or over one burner) with the fire on low depending on your grill.
Put whatever your smoking on the other side of the grill with no fire "indirect cooking". And don't open the lid for at least 2-3 hours, keep the smoke in the grill!!!
This should get you started, but there's no "fool proof way to smoke on a grill because every grill is different.
Trial and error is a must, so do a couple runs with store bought Jalapenos first.
You don't want to ruin your Douglahs right off the bat...
Good Luck!
Thanks Scoville, I will do that. I found some nice Jalaps at Target. I'll give those a whirl. Now to find some applewood chips...

I dont know what you mean by "run of the mill gas grille", but I can offer this advice.

First...go drink a beer.

Then, take the grates off your grill. Do what SDV said and wrap your chips in foil, unless you have chunks. Put the foil pouch as low as you can, near the flame. You might need to make some more pouches.
Put one of the grates back on, and NEVER use part of the grill that is near the flame. You want to be as far away from the heat as possible.
With your run-of-the-mill grill on low, you should still be able to produce smoke if your pouch is close enough to the flame.

This method will work...but...

Screw it, go get a weber charcoal grill. It's the perfect outdoor tool. You can do ANYTHING on it. The classic 22.5 inch weber charcoal. An American original. (and fairly cheap)

There are many ways
The foil packs of smoke wood on the BBQ work very well. You can also construct your own cold-smoker, there are many DIY plans online, try a search for cold smokers on youtube and then add your desired amount of heat with the gas. You can also buy or make a ProQ or an A-maze-N cold smoker for quite cheap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7j11-buJ8E&feature=related

Back