How to top this

This plant is very leggy because I don't have enough room for it under my primary lighting system, but I'm about to transplant it into a bigger pot and put it directly under another T-5.  My plan is to nurse it until next May, then  plant it out in my garden.  I've never topped anything before—Which top leaves do I pull off?  Do I just pluck the leaves off. or should I also carefully cut off the connecting stem?

Here is another view:

dragon49 said:
Here is the result:

It pains me to kill some growth, so I'm trying to root and clone it:

Let us know how the rooting attempt pans out.  (That's the only reason I'd ever top a plant.)  Are you using a rooting hormone?

Geonerd said:

Let us know how the rooting attempt pans out.  (That's the only reason I'd ever top a plant.)  Are you using a rooting hormone?
No rooting hormone, just tap water.  In my brief "career" of trying to root Chile cuttings, I am 0% (0/2) - once with rooting hormone, the other time with plain tap water.  I am 100% (probably around 10 /10) when rooting a Pothos houseplant though, using only tap water.  I'll give this as long as it needs.  The last Pothos took a month to develop toots.

deerdog said:
When I've topped in the past I've used a pair of needle nose scissors and only snipped out the very top growing tip, leaving every lateral to grow out.

Just my way though.
I like your way, but my indoor grow space is limited, so I need the plants short for the next six months until I can plant out.

Put a small air stone hooked to an aquarium pump in that bottle.. It'll greatly increase your chances and time till roots.

I'm assuming I am getting the desired effect, as I see new side growth.  Is anything going to come out of the top part ever, or will things just branch off the new side leaves?

You may get new shoots out of the sides of the central stem where there are no leaves (it's probable so long as some light hits it) but not within a few millimeters from the top or at the top because it will dry out a bit at the tip.

Back