• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

how warm?

I'm currently growing habaneros, bhuts, tabasco and hot wax and I have them in a grow bow with a plastic lid by a sunny window the first time I got them all to grow but forgot to put down the shades when i went for work and when I got home they all had curled up and looked like dry sticks so I felt the soil and it must have been about 50 Celsius in the container. I then took them out from the sun light in hope that some might regain some vigor and they might have if my son hadn't pulled them up as he thought the where weeds.

Ah well I made a second attempt and all was going really well and I let lid stay of this time but to day I decided to sleep in and as my wife was getting ready to go out she thought she did me a favor by putting the lid on and when I got up maybe two hours later and took a look at my plants it had happened again but this time a couple looks like they are going to make it so it's no total disaster.

So my question is how much heat can the plants take I've thought the would love the warmth and is there any thing you can do after the fact to help my little darlings?

Used to grow peppers in Las Vegas over 120 7 days in a row, plants grew great had to water morning and evening. and built a shade Made out of electrical conduit and 50% shade cloth. pounded 1/2 rebar into corners to hold conduit

when the plant emits more water through transpiration than is available to the plant through the roots, the stomata close thus stopping the loss of water (and the plants breathing)...this makes the plants wilt...I can not answer the question how hot is too hot because it is all relative...the hotter the air, the more the plant trys to cool itself, thus emitting more water through the stomata...if the plant emits more water than the roots can supply, wilting occurs...

high relative humidity also decreases the transpiration rate of plants...just think of it in an "osmotic" way...higher concentration to lower concentration...

here is a link on transpiration...

http://croptechnology.unl.edu/viewLesson.cgi?min=1&max=8&topic_order=4&LessonID=109285384

sorry to ramble...hope I made sense

AJ, that was good info for a beginner like me, couldn''t get that link to work. I just had a little caribbean red 6" looked like toast and poured the water to it and with in an hour and half it was straight back up.

Back