How?!

As much as I enjoy it, I don't get how things came to be this way.

When I was a kid, habanero heat was the max. I heard the ghost pepper came about in '07 somehow and there was the Red Savina habanero (which I really wanna try) before that...

How are people increasing the intensity to this extreme? Surely it isn't as simple as just tasting each pepper from the plant and only growing from seeds out of the hottest pod..

I figured the growing conditions could only be improved so much. I've heard volcanic soil is some of the most fertile. What if people used that?

Ghaleon said:
I figured the growing conditions could only be improved so much. I've heard volcanic soil is some of the most fertile. What if people used that?

Growing conditions is a very vague term and can be applied to an never ending array of applications and combinations of them.

A lot of the hotter Superhots came from landraces from Trinidad/Tobago. We have no idea huge many generations of ppl enjoyed those peppers on those islands. Often, when there's a "new" hottest Chile, it's really just need to the first world. If we're being honest, all the heavy Hooters nowadays are selections, crosses, and cultivars of Trini Seven Pots and/or Trini Scorpions. All the "heavy lifting" was done by indigenous ppl of Trinidad/Tobago, most likely long ago....

I read a post that suggests that here on THP a little while back, and the post was already pretty old when I found it. I wish I had a link handy; the folks on that discussion out or far more eloquently and convincingly than I am now...

But yeah, when ppl in N.America were going on about how crazy hot the Savina was, there were already well-established & far hotter varieties growing in the West Indies. It's just, us Yanquis weren't aware of it yet.

Bicycle808 said:
A lot of the hotter Superhots came from landraces from Trinidad/Tobago. We have no idea huge many generations of ppl enjoyed those peppers on those islands. Often, when there's a "new" hottest Chile, it's really just need to the first world. If we're being honest, all the heavy Hooters nowadays are selections, crosses, and cultivars of Trini Seven Pots and/or Trini Scorpions. All the "heavy lifting" was done by indigenous ppl of Trinidad/Tobago, most likely long ago....

I read a post that suggests that here on THP a little while back, and the post was already pretty old when I found it. I wish I had a link handy; the folks on that discussion out or far more eloquently and convincingly than I am now...

But yeah, when ppl in N.America were going on about how crazy hot the Savina was, there were already well-established & far hotter varieties growing in the West Indies. It's just, us Yanquis weren't aware of it yet.
I love the part about heavy hooters

y1x9g5A.jpg

Back