Howdy from Virginia ... looking for Poblano pruning tips

Great to be growing peppers and to be part of a fun community. I'm starting out with two poblano plants in the ground on the sunny side of my garage. I am attaching a photo of both plants.

It's a hot start to August in Northern Virginia (Fairfax County). The pepper plants are loving the weather. Yes, they were planted a little too close together ... I won't make that mistake next time.

2 Poblanos.JPG

I have a question about pruning the plants. They are getting tall (38") and leggy. Flowers are becoming numerous and I have one or two small pods growing. I'm wondering if I should prune them back to a shorter height or, at least, keep them from getting taller. I can tie them to the trellis to prevent sagging and breaking, but I'm concerned about how tall they will get if I let them.

Also, how many pods should I allow to grow? Should I be pinching off buds or flowers to keep numbers down?

Finally, should I be trimming off old, big leaves near the ground?

Thanks for your tips!

Welcome from a fellow Virginian.

Personally I think that with it being August it is a little late to be pruning but try posting in the Growing forum and you'll probably get more help.

Again, welcome.

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
:welcome: and  what Tybo said. post growing questions in the Growing forum.  :cheers:
Does that apply to pinching off new buds as well? Should I let everything grow?

Thanks to all the "welcome" messages!

Tybo said:
Welcome from a fellow Virginian.

Personally I think that with it being August it is a little late to be pruning but try posting in the Growing forum and you'll probably get more help.

Again, welcome.
Thanks, Tybo. Does that apply to buds as well? Let everything grow?

Back