How's this potting mix sound?

I'm getting ready to do my final pot out into 10 gallon containers and have come up with the following mix based on what another successful grower has used in my area. I havent been able to get ahold of him to see if he had any final advice so I figured I'd bring my mix list 聽here:

1 complete mix for however many containers it'll fill:

1 bale promix bx
1 bag mushroom compost
2 bags potting soil
worm castings - not sure exactly how much, he used 3 or 4 handfuls
extra perlite non-fertilized

Advice, changes etc are what Im lookin to get from you guys.聽

Thanks!

Doesn't sound too bad if you are putting about 1/3 the mix in aeration. ;)
How about some peat moss and a little garden lime or oyster shell meal to balance out the peat?
What are you planning on feeding during growth? You could add good amendments to it now and only give it water during it's entire season but you need to let a good soil mix cycle for at least 30 days as it will be too "hot" to plant into right away.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Doesn't sound too bad if you are putting about 1/3 the mix in aeration. ;)
How about some peat moss and a little garden lime or oyster shell meal to balance out the peat?
What are you planning on feeding during growth? You could add good amendments to it now and only give it water during it's entire season but you need to let a good soil mix cycle for at least 30 days as it will be too "hot" to plant into right away.
Ahhhhh! You're losing me a bit! What do you mean when you say putting 1/3 of the mix in aeration? I'm okay more to the mix but 聽how should I be gauging how much I would add since I dont want to add "stuff" w/o being able to gauge what Im doing. For food I was going to use what I have on hand which is chili focus, fish fert, and calmag. I'm trying to not make it too complicated as I'm a 1st time grower so I'm kind of hitting my limit of what I know so my apologies if I sound like an idiot!

CYLONSAMONGUS said:
I'm getting ready to do my final pot out into 10 gallon containers and have come up with the following mix based on what another successful grower has used in my area. I havent been able to get ahold of him to see if he had any final advice so I figured I'd bring my mix list 聽here:

1 complete mix for however many containers it'll fill:

1 bale promix bx
1 bag mushroom compost
2 bags garden soil
worm castings - not sure exactly how much, he used 3 or 4 handfuls
extra perlite non-fertilized

Advice, changes etc are what Im lookin to get from you guys.聽

Thanks!

How big are the compost, and garden soil bags?聽 Most people don't add anything to pro-mix other than their nutes.聽 I think the list is good, but proportions are the only question.聽

The way this mix works out is 60lbs promix, 1 cubic foot compost, 2 cubic foot potting soil for one batch to fill as many pots as I can.

I like to put some sand and fine gravel in the mix---and ditto---I mix in the fall and let set over the winter.

CYLONSAMONGUS said:
Ahhhhh! You're losing me a bit! What do you mean when you say putting 1/3 of the mix in aeration? I'm okay more to the mix but 聽how should I be gauging how much I would add since I dont want to add "stuff" w/o being able to gauge what Im doing. For food I was going to use what I have on hand which is chili focus, fish fert, and calmag. I'm trying to not make it too complicated as I'm a 1st time grower so I'm kind of hitting my limit of what I know so my apologies if I sound like an idiot!
I meant the total mix should be 1/3 aeration so add enough extra perlite so that you would guess the mix is 1/3 perlite. I am not sure how much Promix uses but I am sure you will need to add more.

I use this mix and it works great for Peppers and tomatoes...excellent drainage. You should be able to size this formula to fit any container or grow bed. You can also substitute your favorite brand of Fertilizer/mineral for the Tomato Tone/ Azomite and use them in amounts according to what their label says, I just really like to use Tomato tone/ Azomite combo, because they work well and I also water every 2 or 3 weeks with fish emulsion. Keeps things simple so I'm not using a bunch of different stuff.

路 聽 聽 聽 聽 2聽parts Coconut Coir or Peat Moss
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 1 parts Compost or Worm castings or well aged manure
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 1 parts Vermiculite/ Perlite (you can use either or mix them together)
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Tomato Tone (10 Tablespoons per Gallon / 4 & 2/3 cups per cubic ft. /approx. 1.5 lbs. per Cubic ft. )
o聽聽 2/3 cups for 1 Gallon containers
o聽聽 3 cups for 5 Gallon containers
路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Azomite [SIZE=9pt](1 Tbsp. per gallon container or 陆 cup per cubic ft.)[/SIZE]

Back