• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

HPS and MH

So, I am shopping around for a new light. I never had to do this before because the light I was using was given to me but now that person wants it back. My question is are all ballasts for HPS and MH lights interchangable just by swapping out the bulb? I have been looking around and some have them advertised for both, is this a special type of ballast of is it just that these companies advertise them this way?

I am a bit clueless when it comes to light tech.

All my ballasts, mechanical or digital, are. I would think so.

EDIT:
Well just had a look and apparently some of the high-wattage mechanical ones are labeled as MH or HPS specific. so I guess I was wrong. all my digital ones are though.

The new digital ballasts have a switch between MH and HPS lamp operation. The older magnetic ballast didn't have a switch and were specific to either MH or HPS but the only difference is the pulse start for the HPS bulb.

Just a little more confirmation.
Ballasts are generally for use with one or the other exclusively unless they are switchable, as said above.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to HID lights, but I like the idea of Ceramic Metal Halide. Like I said, I've still got plenty of research to do before I can even pretend to know what I'm talking about, but I think it's definitely worth looking into.

I guess I'm not sure of exactly when the switch from MH to HPS should take place, and would feel much more comfortable giving them a consistent and well balanced light from start to finish. I'm pretty sure the sun stays the same color all year, so it makes sense to me...

Hopefully someone who's in the know will chime in to support me or shoot me down on this one.

Most of use just use of HID to get terrific looking pepper starts under a MH lamp not needing to ever switch to HPS as the flowering and fruiting is then done outside. Peppers are long season plants and it makes no sense to me to run a HID for 6 months or more for indoor peppers. Ceramic metal halide I know nothing about, but there are also bulbs that have both MH/HPS in one bulb. Heat generated from these light fixtures is the biggest problem for young plants, make sure you use an exhaust fan.

Back