seeds HPS or MH for seedlings? Does it matter?

I finally got permission from my wife to spend $150 on a grow system.  I'm not sure I can buy a switchable ballast/system for that money.  If I can, somebody show me, please.  Anyway, if I have to choose between HPS, and MH, which should I choose?  I will only be using the system for the first 4 months, until plant out.  Then again, I might use it a bit if I have a plant or two that are loaded with unripe pods at season's end. Thanks.

HPS puts out more lumens. About 30% more but in the red spectrum. MH is infinitely easier to see and photograph in.

I'm using MH right now, but I'm not pushing my plants right now so I don't need to squeeze out every bit of growth. Plenty of time until plant out.

Roguejim said:
Will seedlings under HPS lighting become leggy? 
They shouldn't. I use mh to grow my seedlings into bigger plants before plant out. Honestly tho it's not going to matter which bulb you decide to use but you will get better pics under mh tho. There's a common misconception on this subject tho but don't matter because peppers aren't like weed. They don't need the red light to flower..

Most indoor cultivators hold the opinion that mh is more versatile (in the white spectrum) where as hps is in the red end and is preferred when plants are flowering. Having said that peppers don't have two different growth stages, they veg and flower at the same time. So really, for peppers, it won't matter.

Yeah, his point was that I can get a 400 watt system for that price, which is what I was looking at. Ordered it yesterday, in fact.

Back