• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

huge leaves, what to do?

I have soil plants and an aerogarden system going, and ive noticed all my plants in the aerogarden have massive leaves for being only around 5-6" tall, but this one the 7-pod douglah has some really massive leaves. Should i trim them down, move lights higher up? or just leave it as is? any advice would help this is my first time growing hot peppers and am kinda new to everything

plants004.jpg

plants005.jpg

plants006.jpg

They look just great to me, I would just leave them alone, but if you are adding Fertilizer you should cut back on it, other wise they are doing ok.

its an aerogarden but im using ph perfect from advanced nutrients, havent put any in for 2 weeks now, going to give it a bit longer also, was thinking maybe it was that, for the light im not sure cause the other 2 plants i have in it have big leaves but about half that size.. ill cut off adding nutrients see if they stop growing lol

They look just great to me, I would just leave them alone, but if you are adding Fertilizer you should cut back on it, other wise they are doing ok.

Agreed. Some pepper varieties tend to have pretty big leaves. I would say those are pretty stinkin' happy plants! Happy growing!

Yea, in this case i would adjust the environment to suit the plants, and not the other way around.

Great looking plants and great job btw, i would call it success (so far). I wouldn't cut off the nutrients any longer if it were me, because you've been doing something right up until now.

Great looking plant,and handwriting! That plant is healthy and has some nice early branching starting. Are you attempting to grow a mature Douglah in the Aerogarden?

I dont hope to get full size douglah in the aerogarden was more hoping for maybe using it to grow plants faster then hit soil after or just see what happens and hope for some pods lol

keep them on the feeding cycle you have them on. i had multiple plants indoor and they had large leaves till i placed them outside, in time all the big leaves grew old and fell off while all new leaves where smaller and there were more of them. so, in my experience i would not stop feeding them, but if you can increase the amount light they receive, they do look healthy though.

Spongey's on point...plants grown under lights put out some big leaves. Some bigger than others. All completely normal...and keep feeding them the way you have been. Good looking plant you got there!

+1 for Spongey

Isn't a AeroGarden to small for a pepper ? I never used one but it doesn't seem to be large enough fit the roots & plant's height.

give it more light, the leaves get big to have larger surface area to soak up the light.
As others have said, I agree with spongey too. Once you get them outside and they get real light from the sun and much more of it, depending on hours of sun per day the subsiquent leaves come out smaller. The less the light the larger the leaf, more the light smaller the leaves. That said, some varieties do produce larger leaves than others ...

I have had this problem before when I overfed the plants with fertilizer. Nitrogen especially can cause this if in excess. I flushed mine with water (well draining soil) and then cut way back on the fertilizer.

Ya ive seen some people get ok pepper plants out of the aerogarden but not a lot of peppers, im using it more to get them started than anything, the plants are about twice the size as the ones i planted in soil and they were actually planted 10 days later then the soil, im not sure what im doing im up north in canada so my outside season is short short, 2-3 months at max before its to cold outside for them, so i might try a few outside this year then bring them back inside for the winter and just keep the rest inside. I have 4 85W cfl 6500k bulbs going for indoor light i hope its enough to do a few full size plants

I just spent the evening separating the roots of my 5 peppers (8 weeks old) to get ready for transplant. The light is set at the highest point now so gotta get them out of there. They are huge. I got another Aerogarden for free, just needs new pump and maybe a light, and next time I'll only put 3 in each, that should help with the knotted roots.

3 bhuts
1 moruga
1 Butch T

Angie

ya i seen others do it and when they went over 3 plants it was difficult getting the roots apart so i only did 3

trinidad scorpion
carolina reaper
7-pot doug

Back