• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Hungarian Hot Cherry Pepper - Germination

Hey all,

Okay. I have posted this question in previous threads, mixed with other questions etc. So I am posting my question here as a single thread so that I don't get all mixed up...so please forgive me if you have replied to this question buried elsewhere.

I have germinated peppers successfully, however, I for some reason cannot get these Hungarian Hot Cherry Peppers or Tepins from PepperLover to germinate. I know that have to be good seeds...after all they are from PepperLover, and from everything I've read...very reputable, reliable, and generous. That said...it HAS to be user error. So below is everything I have tried.

This applies to all attempts below:

Container: Dome
Heat: Heat mat with thermostat set to 85F (until noted below)
Water: Tap water

Attempt #1 - Jiffy Pellet
Results #1 - Failed

Attempt #2 - Tupperware container with damp paper towel
Results #2 - Failed

Attempt #3 - Tupperware container with damp coffee filter
Results #3 - Failed

Attempt #4 - Tupperware container (no lid, but in dome) with MG Moisture Control soil
Results #4 - Failed

Attempt #5 - Soaked in water/peroxide mix for 24 hours, then sowed in Jiffy Pellet
Results #5 - Failed

Attempt #6 - Soaked in water/peroxide mix for 24 hours, then sowed in Tupperware container (no lid, but in dome) with MG Moisture Control soil
Results #6 - Failed

Attempt #7 - Soaked in Chamomile tea for 24 hours, then sowed in Jiffy Pellet. Also, dropped the temperature to 82F at this point.
Results #7 - In process. A little over a week and no signs of sprouting. I use a toothpick and carefully peak at seed.

Attempt #8 - Soaked in Chamomile tea for 24 hours, Tupperware container (no lid, but in dome) with MG Moisture Control soil. Also, dropped the temperature to 82F at this point.
Results #8 - In process. In process. A little over a week and no signs of sprouting. I use a toothpick and carefully peak at seed.

I had a little trouble starting my Manzano's and other Tepins too. After a number of attempts, I was able to get two of these to grow. They are from Trade Winds Fruit Company.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? I'm just about out of seeds and a little bummed. :(

Thank you for any feedback, appreciate it.

From what I understand you are sure to fail with the MG moisture control. It contains ferts which will kill the seedling. You need to use a seed starting mix if you go that route.

From what I understand you are sure to fail with the MG moisture control. It contains ferts which will kill the seedling. You need to use a seed starting mix if you go that route.

Thanks nmorris. That would be fine, but I'm surprised that it's not working with the Jiffy Pellets or paper towel. Everything I've read on the forums points to both of those working just fine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

So far the seeds don't look like they are darkening. Which is what they all eventually did at varying times. This last test is my best uneducated guess at what is happening. I'm guessing that 85F was cooking the seeds. Not sure why it would, since 85F is what I have seen everyone say is ideal. But, I'm hoping that the drop to 83F will make a difference. I am also using a smaller dome rather than my larger. I think for some reason, the large dome was too big and it didn't trap enough moisture. Once again, I'm a noob...soooooo, we'll see. :)

Back