• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Hybridization risks

I'll start to grow next spring.
I have good soil, greenhouse and great compost.
I now have seeds fors 14 varieties, and I'm thinking about 3 or 4 plants of each.
I have heard about high hybridization risks with hot pepper, because they do it so easily.
Should I be concerned, since they'll grow together?

Is an hybridization ''effective'' on the actual harvest?

First, welcome.

Your growout will be fine for the season. Hybridization will not affect the peppers this time around. However, if you save seed from this year's harvest, the plants from those seed may be crosses.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies and welcomes!

So if I want to keep ''pure'' strain, I will have to buy new seeds every year?
I also want to take the healtiests plants I have and keep them inside for the winter and replant them outside the next summer, I guess would still be fine, but If i want to reproduce them, their seeds maybe produce hybrid varieties. So, new seeds, again.
Not a big deal :P

Thanks!

If you want to keep a strain pure, you can wait until a bud develops but has not yet opened into a flower. Cover it with panty hose. Let flower open, self-pollenate, form pepper. Then remove the panty hose. Once ripe, the seeds from that particular pod should be pure.

Osh sells the covers that go over the complete plant.. It will set you back 15 bucks, but if your goin to sell the seeds then it would be a wise investment...

Sometimes buying seeds does not ensure purity.
yes i know many seed sellers that do not isolate there crop they are grown with all their other peppers that why most of us just trade on here and not waste money on the same at your own risk crosses seed sellers sell but then their is some that isolate

These are all very good informations and tricks out here, thank you!
We bought seeds from what seems to be a nice professionnal supplier, he seems to have to reputation, and carries and LOT of stuff. They also sell hybrided stuff, so maybe, I guess, that's a good sign that he takes care about the hybridization thing.... Anyways! We'll see for this year, if every plan comes what it suppose to be, we'll probably just go and rebuy new seeds.

Also, maybe it worth the try to take some our peppers' seeds, and see what comes out of there! Surprise surprise!

Definitely worth planting them out... Another trick you can do is plant like plants together in clusters of 9 let me diagram it for you:

xxx
xXx
xxx

The middle plant from the middle row has a significantly higher chance of being pure... The theory being - as I understand it, that the bees and pollinating bugs will be more likely to hybridize on the outer plants, but more likely to have the same plant types pollen when it eventually reaches the inner plant.

If you go to a wedding, the little baggies of treats that people are given (or the seed baggies) make good tools for isolating a particular bud as well.

Truely though there is nothing 100% - unless you only grow one type, and you can know for a fact that there are no other peppers growing within a several mile radius. Just do the best you can, and enjoy the odd hybrid (if possible, if not, cull, and move on :) )

:welcome:

Depends on what you want to do, I'm not selling seeds so if I get a hybrid or two I don't mind too much, one of my tastiest fruit this past season was an accidental hybrid from last year. The main exception is jalapeno hybrids, I don't care much for them crossed with anything except a bell... better than nothing but since we don't have to settle for better than nothing... I may eventually stop growing jalapenos altogether for this reason, but a lot of people can tolerate those but not much hotter.

Back