breeding Hybrids good or bad?

Hi everyone! 

I'm new to the hot pepper scene and I'm growing a good variety this years (with some very nice donations from other chili heads). I was wondering how people felt about hybrid peppers. I'm a big fan of preserving heirloom veggies and most of my garden is heirloom or non hybrid. The more I read about peppers the more I realize that there is a lot of crossing going on. I don't have a problem with it as long as the original pepper is still out there, but I'd like to get others take on it. 

I see hybrids as neither good nor bad, but as neutral. I appreciate the desire to keep "pure" originals, and I think it's a worthy thing to protect. But I also appreciate the flavor differences that can be developed by crossing. Additionally, some hybrids are developed specifically for things like disease and drought resistance, which are also very important, especially in areas where these adversities are common. 

well all varieties had to come from some mutation so it's all the same to me..

All the new varieties that we are seeing in past few years are selective breeding / crossing. 

In my personal opinion. I think hybrids are OK , I like the idea of crossing two peppers together to get certain characteristics of  personal favorite attributes. some of the hottest varieties on the scene today were at one point  crosses of two or more different peppers grown out to become their own distinct stable 8th generation and beyond breed, for example,smokin Ed Currie calls himself a mad scientist, and without stepping outside the box we would not have the current Guinness world record holder the Carolina Reaper. There are many others like the up and coming Chocolate Bhutlah, but that is unstable and currently in the works by Steve Mclauren, If writing this a Few years ago I would have mentioned  Gerald Fowler for his Infinity chilli.  These are but three people among thousands around the world. May it be on a large scale, or a backyard scale these people do what they do because it is their passion, their love, and their soul, these things go into what they do to aspire in creating new stable breeds of super hots for the masses. Pushing the limits of mother nature. but it is not about the heat of the peppers to some people, I just refer to this as an example because I am myself am new to the chilli community, and my knowledge is limited and I have only so far focused learning about super hot peppers. I plan on learning more about growing and crossing peppers to get my personal favorite attributes that suit my needs in years to come, and others cross peppers to get their favorite attributes may it be colors, shapes, best ones for making powders, and sauces and more, I can go on and on but im sure you know what I am talking about.  I am sure there are many others who have done this and continue to do this. but to answer your question, I am a believer of hybrid peppers.

I am also a believer in protecting the original strain like the wild varieties only found in some remote locations of the world.  We must  protect these as well. There are many who put their love and soul into this, protecting species that are nearly extinct or very rare,taking the time growing these themselves and making the seeds available to the masses, this is another side of the passion that is put forward by people in the ever expanding chilli community this is thanks to great people like  Judy over at www.pepperlover.com  and for that I myself appreciate very much. thank you for reading my answer to your great question. 

I keep some pods pure (self or same type pollinated), some selective crossing, some let mother nature decide.
Many (many many) crosses and hybrids being grown by members here, and the largest proportion of peppers the last decade (in the hunt for "world's hottest") are crosses.

As long as the original isn't lost, hybrids are good. They make variety, which there would be much less of without them.

I like keeping strains pure as possible,  just for the reason of not getting a surprise down the road.  I do grow some X's or hybrids also tho.  

I see them as good. Hybridization can improve peppers. I create lots of hybrids and think what I do is important, but I also think preserving already existing good varieties and wilds is important. My focus is on hybrids and wilds. We need people like you in our community :) .

Hybrids in general are boring. They are hybridized to meet a market requirement for looks or ripening time and I think taste is ignored.

It's not hard to get landrace varieties.

To build on others' comments:

cruzzfish said:
As long as the original isn't lost, hybrids are good. They make variety, which there would be much less of without them.

Diversity = Power (plus a lot more fun). Although as everybody repeats, maintaining original lines is also an important aspect of diversity.

willard3 said:
Hybrids in general are boring. They are hybridized to meet a market requirement for looks or ripening time and I think taste is ignored.

It's not hard to get landrace varieties.

Good example of hybridization going in a more unsavory (if not "wrong") direction. Definitely what we see with supermarket tomatoes!

Back