• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Hydro container/reservoir question (DWC)

Ok, so here's the question.

What's a more suitable bucket size for having nice plants and decent harvest? Space is the issue here.

I prefer having a few different types than just one huge one, but I also don't want the container to be too small and then later become a issue in production maybe.

Maybe I'm overdoing it? Lol. I need some advice and if you have suggestions I'm open. Thanks in advance.

, Walter

All depends of what u call a nice plant and a decent harvest :)

I'm currently growing on soil in 1.5 gallon containers and I'm quite happy, but for next year I'll probably be using 3-5 gallon containers.

U might take a look at mine (in the 1.5 gallon containers) and see for yourself what to expect:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/41566-some-more-pictures-from-the-babies/

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/41461-introducing-my-peppers-on-the-forum/

For my Bhut's I expect 100-150 pods per plant, for the pimenta 30-50 and the hot portugals are pruned to make them concentrate on the 25-30 pods per plant (those were gettin too big to continue them indoors so I've cut them down for abt 50%)

Greetz,

Oli

Honestly, any chinenese will need a 5 gallon bucket by the time it is full grown. I use 8 and 10 inch net pots right now put will likely go with all 10" next year. 

My hydro Scorpion is over 5 feet tall and 4' feet wide. It takes a lot of roots to support that size plant. Also, they drink quite a bit of water. Any less than a 5 gallon bucket and you might not make it a full day without adding water. 

My outdoor plants are in a dutch bucket system because I can't afford the time to monitor 10 DWC buckets every day. In the winter, in the basement, DWC is fine. Outside in the summer, there are better ways. 
Scorp pics from 3 weeks ago. It is at least 6" taller now. 
20130813_173731.jpg
20130813_173748.jpg

Jeff H said:
Honestly, any chinenese will need a 5 gallon bucket by the time it is full grown. I use 8 and 10 inch net pots right now put will likely go with all 10" next year. 

My hydro Scorpion is over 5 feet tall and 4' feet wide. It takes a lot of roots to support that size plant. Also, they drink quite a bit of water. Any less than a 5 gallon bucket and you might not make it a full day without adding water. 

My outdoor plants are in a dutch bucket system because I can't afford the time to monitor 10 DWC buckets every day. In the winter, in the basement, DWC is fine. Outside in the summer, there are better ways. 
Cool, I see what you mean about the reservoir size. Exactly the answer I was looking for, I never thought about it.

The thing is that I don't want plants that huge, just enough size for it to produce a decent amount of pods and not an exaggerated harvest lol. I seen super davids reaper and that thing is out of this world lmao.

I'm thinking plant size about 2x2, of course with some trimming to keep it that way. I want to have at least 6 plants indoors, and I have a friend here who also is gona do hydro (DWC) and I wouldn't mind giving him plants I can't keep. Otherwise I can offer them on craigslist, but it's really hard for me to kill or dump a plant due to my lack of organization.

Thanks to all for the replies!

, Walter

I use a two gallon bucket with 1 gallon of nutes, and my plants do great. My Prik Kee I grew for the growdown got about 2 feet tall and 3 feet across. I had to top off once a week, and got over 600 peppers off it.

You can do small reservoirs, you just need to pay attention.

I used a big tub from wallmart in my ghetto hydro, but after a season, my Ajijoe Peach Habalokia roots took 1/2 of it.
If I try big hydro again, every plant I want to keep for years will get it's own 5 gal. bucket.
Might go 1/2 that for a single season plant.

Good info here, so from what I understand if I use a small container I'll be having to keep an eye on the water level. Which is no problem for me since I check on my plants every 10min or so :D.

Pepperdan, I saw your glog. That's very nice and similar to what I want.

Willard, that's just crazy for that size, and thanks for the pruning tip and confirming that they still produce well.

Gotrox, I see what you mean. I'll only want them for one season. Part time in hydro and attempt to transplant to soil and see what happens, but at least get some production during winter.

Scratzilla, that's good to hear. I'm looking forward to seeing your micro DWC.

Thanks to all for the help and input.

, Walter

5 gals are pretty easy

You can use a hole saw or whatever to conform to your net pot size, in this case I used a 95mm (3 3/4" ) hole saw for some atrium drain covers I use for net pots

1234671_416893698416606_1745314910_n.jpg

1006045_416894631749846_1396899233_n.jpg

and I'm a cheapass so I use aquarium air stones from the local dept. store, but I drilled an 8mm (5/16" ) hole in the side near the top for my air line.

1011646_416894851749824_2053584745_n.jpg

I just usually mix calmag with my fish water from my aquaponics system for my nutrients, the water should come up to just under the bottom of the net pot, about half an inch or so.

Back