Hydro Newb. ebb/flow timing

Hydro Newb. ebb/flow watering schedule

What would you guys recommend for a watering schedule on this setup. I've got 3 plants in it right now and I think the reservoir is about 2.5gallons. (old kitty litter bin)Right now im using Dutch Gold part A and B 15min flood every 2 hours. I've got a Pequin, habanero and a jalapeno in it.

pb3fu1rr9a4nyevrqzca.jpg

2wfoiwui1xczb3bnj1h.jpg

gorbrickon said:
What would you guys recommend for a watering schedule on this setup. I've got 3 plants in it right now and I think the reservoir is about 2.5gallons. (old kitty litter bin)Right now im using Dutch Gold part A and B 15min flood every 2 hours. I've got a Pequin, habanero and a jalapeno in it.

pb3fu1rr9a4nyevrqzca.jpg

2wfoiwui1xczb3bnj1h.jpg

i have never used ebb and flow that way before but i used to water every 2 hours and i let it run 15 mins.... but my room was hot also... when i use rocks.. but i would water less with rockwool and coco mix... what are your temps in there?? really your plants will tell you if they need more water or not... just keep your eye on them you will be fine..

That room is the warmest in the house. It's probably around 76 or 77 in there. I noticed today that the leaves on the jalapeño are curling up on the sides. What does that mean?

gorbrickon said:
That room is the warmest in the house. It's probably around 76 or 77 in there. I noticed today that the leaves on the jalapeño are curling up on the sides. What does that mean?

check PH first ... less nutes is always better than to much keep that in mind man.... do you have a air stone in your rez??? is there a fan blowing on them to much?? its really hard to say with out a pic .... thats all i can think of for you to check...

You will find that, as your plants get larger, their roots will plug the drain lines as they are too small.

Well I have had zero growth. The only difference I have seen is some of the leaves on the Hab are crispy and rolled. I moved the system to a cooler room and put them under 400w of 6500k cfl's. I nailed the pH this time too. Sooo here we go!

willard3 said:
You will find that, as your plants get larger, their roots will plug the drain lines as they are too small.

That's fine. I'm just experimenting at this point. I find that the maintenance is kind of high compared to soil. I just wanted to see if the growth rate was really as high as I'm led to believe.

redeyes said:
check PH first ... less nutes is always better than to much keep that in mind man.... do you have a air stone in your rez??? is there a fan blowing on them to much?? its really hard to say with out a pic .... thats all i can think of for you to check...

No air stone in the res. I was hoping that the splashing from the overflow drainage would oxygenate the water. I think my pH was too high before but I've got it right this time.

gorbrickon said:
No air stone in the res. I was hoping that the splashing from the overflow drainage would oxygenate the water. I think my pH was too high before but I've got it right this time.
First, congrats on the fine build of the bottle system. I've seen it on the net in quite a few configurations.

If you've built it the way I'm familiar with, you've used the bottle cap itself as the holder for the bottle. If you also installed a retainer screen in the bottom of the bottle, it will hold the hydroton back while you unscrew the bottle about once a week and trim any root growth that has grown through the screen and out of the neck of the bottle. It's a low stress manner of root maintenance in that type of hydro system.

Feeding your plants often enough is necessary for two reasons; One, it will keep the plant from having to grow massive roots as a response to low nutrient or water supply. Secondly, it will help keep your root area at a more consistent temperature level that can be controlled via the reservoir temperature.

If the root area is drained for too long of a period, the temperature in the root area will move more toward the ambient room temperature and less as a result of reservoir water temperature. Depending on your ambient room temperatures, this could cause a fluctuation of both your pH and in turn, your nutrient uptake. It's really best to control your root zone temperatures via the reservoir water temperature and control that to optimize all-around plant growth.

Sorry for being so wordy, but the reasons for the various area volumes and pump timing needs to be balanced so that all the environmental conditions of the root mass can be optimized to favor your plants.

You might think about increasing your fill timings to something like one hour on, one hour off. The temperatures would maintain a more stable trend and your pH would be easier to balance also.

Of course, this is all just my opinion based on my experience.

Finally I'm noticing some growth! Tons of new growth at the tops and lots of green. The pequin seems to be doing the best and the jalapeño is right behind him. The hab has some new growth but nothing spectacular. My pH seems to elevate as the week goes by. The pequin started to slump over and get lazy so I got a fan and hooked it up to the timer. That should strengthen up their stalks and give them some fresh air. When the fan kicked on I thought the jalapeño was going to break! They are very floppy.

Back