• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hydro question

ok, here it goes. Can you use a worm casting tea (with the molasses), instead of running nutes in your water? I know that it wont last but 6 days or so...But it would be all natural. Would this be enough for good growth? I really want to figure out another way without any chemicals....Anyone tried it?

The biggest issue here would be...

1. Bacterial growth in the solution

and 2. Clogging of the pump, unless you are running a drain-to-waste system.

But I think it's fine if it's only for 6 days. Only thing is, I don't know if worm tea would have enough nutes in it for a hydroponics application...

Otherwise, there are nutrients out there on the market that are labeled as "organic", but seeing how the definition of organic is so tentative amongst individuals, it's hard to determine what "organic" is.

I was thinking of adding some Maxibloom or something...hmm....

The worm tea would serve better as an additive than just the nutrient solution, but I don't know if it would be good for long term use, because I've never tried it before. Not to mention, even if the tea had nutes in it, it would vary in concentration depending on what you fed the worms.

I belive that you want to use worm castings, along with bat quano in order to create a tea that you THEN add to your resevoir. You would want to create the water/castings/molasses in a container of water, then add beneficial fungi (if you can) and aerate it with an airstone for 24 hours or so. This allows the beneficial microbes to grow rapidly. You will want to mix an amount into your resevoir, then check your PPM and PH. make sure it doesn't throw it too far out of whack. Add small amounts at a time untill you get proper quality.

Strain off everything very well, or you will get sludge and smelly nasty bad fungi/bacteria. Your plants can't even absorb most of that stuff right off the bat. Adding a tea is old school for soil growing, hydroponics is different, we have to make sure everything is readily available for the plants roots to absorb, and is clean to beat away unwanted fungi and such. If there is any additives other than that in the mix, it needs to be beneficial fungi and the stuff they can use to thrive.

Back