• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hydro solution question

It seems the SOP is to add nutrients and if necessary water to a solution, maintaining the correct pH and ppm (or EC). But would it be doable to mix up a large batch of a solution where the above is correct and add it as needed, rather than adding just the nuits and ferts?

I haven't decided 100 percent to go hydro but if I do containers, I may have to buy larger ones. My 5-gallon pots either have the wrong mix (I used 100 percent potting mix and didn't add any compost) or are not large enough even for a determinant plant. They started off great but after about six tomatoes started the plant has quit blooming. No very high temps (only two days was it in the low 90s), the mix is damp but not wet, the fertilizer level is in the correct range and the plants are outside where birds and bees as well as the wind can help. But they are not even blooming.

Suggestions???

Mike

Hi Mike.

You could mix a batch of full strength and add as required but remember to keep the light off of it to stop and nasties growing. I don't bother normally. I normally get home from work and top up 3 - 4 litres they have used and then add nutes if needed.

I will, I plan on keeping it tightly closed.

If I can get a small GH up in the next day or two (a 4'x4' with the front top covered with plastic and the back wall solid, I want to start a plant to see how it grows. I would like to start a couple but I'm not having near the luck germinating seeds and raising seedlings as I did this winter. Back then, in five weeks the plants were large enough to transplant outside, this time it is taking two weeks just to germinate them. I don't know if it is because the potting mix has dried out somewhat or because I got the seeds from a different source.

Mike

Back