• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Hydroponic Hots

Just need a few questions answered. Been searching through hydro grows but not much luck finding what I need.

What are people finding to be a good hydro solution?

What should pH be? 5.8-6.8?

Will I be alright just using hydroton?

How often should I set my drip to go? Was thinking 15 mins out of every hour.

How long should I have my light on?

When is a good time to top my plants?

Will a 3 gal be enough if I feed my plants a lot?

I know this is a lot of stuff I could probably find if I just did a better job looking. But I like to get direct responses and meet new growers to pick brains.

Thanks.

1. PH perfect 3 part mix
2. see above.
3.yup
4.Drip?
5. 18/6 is a good starting point.
6. IF you are going to top, no sooner than after the second set of true leaves.
7. my 5 gallon root spa's hold 3 gallons of solution, the basket and clay pebbles take up the other 2.

Finally:
Every hydro grower will have a different opinion, this is just mine.

Though it doesn't say so, it's best to mix the micro with your full gallon (or more) of H2O before adding the grow and bloom.
Prevents possible nutrient lockup.
Otherwise, why would you need 3 bottles of different types instead of just 1 all ready mixed?

Gotrox said:
Otherwise, why would you need 3 bottles of different types instead of just 1 all ready mixed?
Quite simply, because there are different mix ratios for veg and bloom. There are also varying ratios for mild, strong, seedling, aero propagation, etc...

Don't want to be smarmy, but what does mixing nutes have to do with nutrient lockout?

Gotrox said:
Though it doesn't say so, it's best to mix the micro with your full gallon (or more) of H2O before adding the grow and bloom.
Prevents possible nutrient lockup.

solid7 said:
Quite simply, because there are different mix ratios for veg and bloom. There are also varying ratios for mild, strong, seedling, aero propagation, etc...Don't want to be smarmy, but what does mixing nutes have to do with nutrient lockout?
According to Dutch Master:

Never mix multi-part nutrients neat. Always add part A and part B separately to water to avoid precipitation (fallout) of crucial elements (typically calcium and sulphur). If precipitation occurs, it could cause deficiencies in your plants as it renders these important elements unusable. Dutch Master GOLD RANGE ONE is a single part nutrient (therefore 1 part for grow and 1 part for flower) that has be specially formulated NOT to fall out.
So to answer the questions, you need some 3 part solutions because of the way the nutrients react to each other. If you mix the two or three part nutrients together all at the same time you will render some specific nutrients unusable. This will cause nutrient lock out to the plants. Mixing matters.

Neil

Really?
The AN brand is the only one I haven't seen it on the bottle.
I presumed it was rule #1 in nute mixing, and why single mix seems to under-perform compared to multi-mix.

And though I haven't had 10 years doing it this decade, I was at the very beginnings of medium scale hydro attempts "a few decades ago" for an entirely different "crop". :shh:

And let me say---it's far easier to dole out a few ml of liquid than it was to try and meld bags of different minerals and chemicals into something that grew plants.

What are people finding to be a good hydro solution? => Currently using MAXIBLOOM (1 tsp/G = 1,000ppm + water = 1,150 ppm) and think it works great.

What should pH be? 5.8-6.8? => I am for 6.0 but i weigh my up/down powers so it can vary a little.

Will I be alright just using hydroton? => No idea...using GH Powergrowers.

How often should I set my drip to go? Was thinking 15 mins out of every hour. => I run my 24/7 as per GH guidelines.

How long should I have my light on? => Running mine as 12/12 as i was under the impression peppers only need 6-10 per day.

When is a good time to top my plants? => Currently doing the reverse...trimming side shoots to leave the main canopy...the bane of indoor grows is room.

Will a 3 gal be enough if I feed my plants a lot? The powergrowers have a 2.5 G res and when the plants get big they will suck up 1-1.5 a day...be prepared to water them daily.

Gotrox said:
Really?
The AN brand is the only one I haven't seen it on the bottle.
I presumed it was rule #1 in nute mixing, and why single mix seems to under-perform compared to multi-mix.

And though I haven't had 10 years doing it this decade, I was at the very beginnings of medium scale hydro attempts "a few decades ago" for an entirely different "crop". :shh:

And let me say---it's far easier to dole out a few ml of liquid than it was to try and meld bags of different minerals and chemicals into something that grew plants.

LOL, yes, I am, unfortunately, quite serious.  I wasn't busting your chops.

It's easy, but there's a damn good reason those organic growers in BC are so popular.  Hydro grown anything just can't compare flavor wise to a good organic crop. :D

These are just my answers on how I do it. There are a lot of different ways and options. I do have a post about hydro/soil comparison where you can see my hydro grow. It has been a long time since I updated it, but I have some HUGE plants now that I will add pictures within the next two weeks to my post. (see my signature for link)

What are people finding to be a good hydro solution?

- I use RO water with GH nutes (reverse osmosis / general hydroponics)

What should pH be? 5.8-6.8?

- I try to maintain 5.8-6.0 but I do find that peppers are pretty forgiving.

Will I be alright just using hydroton?

- That's all I use

How often should I set my drip to go? Was thinking 15 mins out of every hour.

- Sorry, I do not use drip

How long should I have my light on?

- 18-20 hours or so would be nice (18 to save a little $$) But I have moved all of my plants outside now, sun plus shade cloth do a great job. My indoor set up was great, but not as good as Mr. Sun.

When is a good time to top my plants?

- I topped mine after 4 or so nodes to get about 4 main branches (my preference)

Will a 3 gal be enough if I feed my plants a lot?

- Yes, but you will be having to maintain it often. I have 3 plants in a 7 gallon and they make me have to refill A LOT! Hind-sight, I wish I would have created a larger reservoir and will likely only keep these plants for this season only to complete my experiment.

Hydro grown anything just can't compare flavor wise to a good organic crop. :D
True.
But once I figure out how to add rock dust to the mix without mucking things up, I may challenge the assumption.

GH nutes

To each their own.
AN (advanced nutrients) is the same, but better quality control, and PH perfect line is a dream come true.

Many methods, many mixes. Whatever works---works.
But:
pineapple.jpg

Aji Pineaplle, topped twice before forking.
12/12 lights
equal mix all 3 parts AN PH Perfect
nutes, plain water  (alternating, letting go almost empty before refilling) --repeat-drain-start over.

Back