• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Hydroponic need advices (NPK, ...)

Hi Pepper Friends!

My wife got me an Aerogarden LED mini for Christmas, and I'm soon going to start messing with it.
Since I do not want to F it up, I prefer to turn to you for advices.

1. NPK/nutrients

There was a nutrient vial included in the kit that is 4-3-8 NPK

I also have the following from a previous acquisition:
Plagron Alga Bloom NPK 6-12-10
Terra Vega NPK 3-1-14
Supermarket tomato fertilizer NPK 3-0-6

I also have epsom salts and aspirin at hand.

What would be the solution/mix for the nutrient solution of my peppers?

2. Growing medium

The pots from the aerogarden came with pre-seeded growing sponges.

Since I want to grow my own seeds, I need to replace those.
Is rockwool a good idea root development wise, or is there a better choice?

EDIT: Well, I replaced with root!it peat-bark sponges.

3. Light

While I'm guessing that the 10w LED lighting will be a bit weak for my pepper plants, the aerogarden will
be right next to my kitchen window. But it's winter, and it doesn't get much sun...

I have access to a Fuloon 14w. Would putting it on one side of my aerogarden be a good idea or not?

Guy from the grow shop next door said a white painted plank would be more than enough on one side or another, reflection wise.

4. Oxygen

There's a tiny hole in the aerogarden, would it be a good idea to add an aquarium oxygen pump with an aeration stone inside my aerogarden?
Or is that pointless?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advices!

Baekseju said:
Hi Pepper Friends!

My wife got me an Aerogarden LED mini for Christmas, and I'm soon going to start messing with it.
Since I do not want to F it up, I prefer to turn to you for advices.

1. NPK/nutrients

There was a nutrient vial included in the kit that is 4-3-8 NPK

I also have the following from a previous acquisition:
Plagron Alga Bloom NPK 6-12-10
Terra Vega NPK 3-1-14
Supermarket tomato fertilizer NPK 3-0-6

I also have epsom salts and aspirin at hand.

What would be the solution/mix for the nutrient solution of my peppers?

2. Growing medium

The pots from the aerogarden came with pre-seeded growing sponges.

Since I want to grow my own seeds, I need to replace those.
Is rockwool a good idea root development wise, or is there a better choice?

EDIT: Well, I replaced with root!it peat-bark sponges.

3. Light

While I'm guessing that the 10w LED lighting will be a bit weak for my pepper plants, the aerogarden will
be right next to my kitchen window. But it's winter, and it doesn't get much sun...

I have access to a Fuloon 14w. Would putting it on one side of my aerogarden be a good idea or not?

Guy from the grow shop next door said a white painted plank would be more than enough on one side or another, reflection wise.

4. Oxygen

There's a tiny hole in the aerogarden, would it be a good idea to add an aquarium oxygen pump with an aeration stone inside my aerogarden?
Or is that pointless?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advices!

Everyone I know uses that little hole for a hose from a pump so yes. Also, that vial that came with it...if it is the same as over here....has Cal and Mag in it as well so you shouldn't need anything else. You can order more when it runs out.
I'm not an expert with them, but I did manage to get a few plants to grow to transplant size and they turned out great. The thing is pretty fun too. You can buy the empty sponges from AG or do what I did since you probably won't want to wait and cut open the sponge at the top sideways and dig all the seeds out and put yours in. The sponges expand a little when the get wet so your seeds won't fall out.
More experienced people should chime in now that the holidays are almost over. Just hated to see your question go unanswered.

Back