• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Hypothetical pickling question...

Hope this is the right forum.  I'm thinking of using some scorpions when pickling some okra and cucs to heat things up a little.  Got to wondering, which would add more heat, one or two whole scorpions in a quart or adding some crushed dehydrated scorpions to the pickling spice mix?  Wadda you guys think?

Harold

Nightshade said:
I would you use the whole scorp because pickled peppers are good so you are getting two for one
Definitely agree with that.  I also plan on pickling a pint or two of just scorps if I get enough from the plants.  Just thinking here about the best way to infuse heat into other things.  Ever have any pickled scorpions?  How much heat do they retain?

Harold

I have done pickled eggs with habaneros and trust me you wanna add way more heat than you think you will need it just seems the pickling process really kills the burn.

Hophead said:
I have done pickled eggs with habaneros and trust me you wanna add way more heat than you think you will need it just seems the pickling process really kills the burn.
Hmmm... Maybe I get a little crazy and do both... Add a couple of whole scorps and crumble up a dehydrated one or two in the pickling spice....

Harold

Hophead said:

I did some plcklese with a bhut jolokai and thought the same thing you did, then I forgot about it for 3 months. When I came back to it, it was several levels of heat hotter than a week after pickling. Not hot like eating a fresh pepper, but plenty hot for your lips and mouth so get a good sting.  I think it just takes a decent amount of time for the oils to diffuse. 

Make sure you cut your scorps in half. If you don't, it will take forever to diffuse the oils. 

This could be right as the waiting even a week or two for the flavors to marry even a little bit killed me and these jars were gone after a few weeks after that. :D

Best of luck and we want pictures of the finished jars! :drooling:

I normally let my pickles rest for at least a few weeks.  Also I normally either halve them or at least cut a deep slit in the individual pods, just to let the air out if nothing else.

Well dehydrated will rehydrate in the liquid... sooooooo.... NO DIFFERENCE! It's the same pepper just a different state, and it will return to it's hydrated state. Capsaicin does get into the air when dehydrating so if anything you may lose just a little heat but nothing noticeable!

;)

But the chopped will release more. Add whole and chopped, and eat the whole later.

Hophead said:
This could be right as the waiting even a week or two for the flavors to marry even a little bit killed me and these jars were gone after a few weeks after that. :D

Best of luck and we want pictures of the finished jars! :drooling:
Roger that... pics will be forthcoming.

Harold

Here is a test jar I did with what I had on hand.  Couple of whole scorpions (slit top to bottom), a few pods of okra, a couple of cucumbers, and a couple of banana peppers. No dehydrated peppers, just my normal pickling spice with some fresh dill added. I figure I can let this set a couple of weeks and use it as a baseline.  I don't have any experience pickling with the hotties.

Harold
null-16.jpg

By The way, whoever moved this, thanks.  Still learning my way around.
Harold

Harold, the mods are like ninjas....you never know they're there, you just see their work!  :lol:

That pickle jar looks good.  I was thinking to sliver the pods, but with the whole okra and cukes, the whole pods look better.  Good call on that.  People ask for "the perfect recipe for...xxx...." but most of the time it's just winging it and as you did, use what's on hand.  Glad you're having fun and experimenting.

Jeff H said:

I did some plcklese with a bhut jolokai and thought the same thing you did, then I forgot about it for 3 months. When I came back to it, it was several levels of heat hotter than a week after pickling. Not hot like eating a fresh pepper, but plenty hot for your lips and mouth so get a good sting.  I think it just takes a decent amount of time for the oils to diffuse. 

Make sure you cut your scorps in half. If you don't, it will take forever to diffuse the oils. 
Made Picklese with dried brains, fine two days in, two weeks in, unbearably hot.  Luckily, there was just dregs left by then.

Back