• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

I am me. I live here. I grow things.

Have to vent.  One of the home care people told us about all these social services that can help with the new challenges.  One is really important, someone to give me a ride to doctor appointments so wife can go back to work.  Other is grab bars in places medicare doesn't pay for.  Nothing like give me money or anything like that, so can not imagine a person trying to scam them or something.  I mean how much money do people in the black market get for grab bars?

I left with a form that someone who knows me personally has to sign.  The form says they know I am me (my name), they know I live here, and they know I am trying to return to work as a farmer.

Not a problem, but embarrassing as all hell.  Can vent to you guys cause this is a forum.  But to go to neighbors with a form that starts that I have applied for social services is embarrassing as hell.  No where does it say I am asking for help with things like grab bars and a ride to wound care once a week.

I almost pulled my frigging post surgery frankenstein shoe off and threw my foot on the desk before announcing something like look, my frigging piggies not home from market.

Grant, yes and yes again.  Its the institutional sort of things that are annoying.  I would be dead in the water this year if not for friends who have been coming out to help.  I swallowed my pride and posted to facebook page.  People volunteered.  No doubt will be walking good enough by the grow season to get things going, but getting things ready would not be so easy without the help.  Started one of those go fund me pages.  Not rolling in donations, but just the fact that folk are donating is amazing.

Nothing to vent about friends.  Its social services acting like I am trying to scam them for grab bars and a ride to wound care.  Who the hell would scam for grab bars and a ride to a doctor?

ajdrew said:
Nothing to vent about friends.  Its social services acting like I am trying to scam them for grab bars and a ride to wound care.  Who the hell would scam for grab bars and a ride to a doctor?

Dude, Google Medicare Fraud and I'll wait here ...

*HUGE* $$$

Grant, good point.  I suppose it is standard.  With things like pills, people can scam for them and then sell them.  Same for things like wheel chairs.  Can not really imagine scamming for installed grab bars, but suppose the form is standard.  Still, embarrassing as hell.  Wish the form listed what I am asking for.

ajdrew said:
Grant, good point.  I suppose it is standard.  With things like pills, people can scam for them and then sell them.  Same for things like wheel chairs.  Can not really imagine scamming for installed grab bars, but suppose the form is standard.  Still, embarrassing as hell.  Wish the form listed what I am asking for.

It's because you are missing the main criminal, middle-men/providers ...

People don't think to scam their Medicare for grab-bars, no ...

Companies with handymen that hunt for grab-bar work do the scamming ...

"Of course Mr Farmer Man, we'll install these and leave you this piece of paper and you just send it in the Medicare for reimbursement ...

The whole process is demeaning, embarrassing and demoralizing but essential in easing the burden on your loved ones and yourself. You can thank the scum of the earth for the process that you have to go thru now. Back in 94' a motor vehicle accident left me paralyzed on one side. At that time fraud was just starting to be dealt with and all claims, services and medical help was really hard to get approved cause there was no real process to eliminate the fraud cases. As a young couple with two girls (2&1) it was tough on my wife without transportation sevices being approved until after the claims were approved. Yes, I was examined like a sideshow freak and questioned like a pow but got what I needed. Yes, i've rode the tart cart and stood half naked in front of ss disability review agents but I got what I needed. Recovered 75% 2 years later but it wasn't the therapy or having someone else wipe your ass for you that was the hardest part, it was the doubt on their part that you really needed the assistance. Head high, screw them, trudge thru the process and show them by getting better. No isn't an answer. Good luck and get better.

Whimpy, reading what Grant said I get it.  People fake a need, the installer gets the money, nobody gets the grab bars, and the installer kicks back money to the person who was faking it. 

Thank you much for the words of encouragement.  Not going to beat the challenges, going to learn how to manage them.  But am going to beat the money game and return to full time employment.  Farm did great last year and I was in two casts for part of it.  This year, look out.  I am sure you feel the same way because you overcame much, if you sit down and cry you die.

ajdrew said:
Whimpy, reading what Grant said I get it.  People fake a need, the installer gets the money, nobody gets the grab bars, and the installer kicks back money to the person who was faking it. 
Even that is a lesser form ...

These grab-bars get installed.

The company that installs them advertises in local media like "Did you know that 55% of people over the age of 65 fall in the shower once every two years? Bob's Grab Bar can install grab bars in most bathrooms, and we'll leave a certificate of installation that you can send to Medicare for reimbursement! Blah blah ...

Think MyJazzy ...

You know how many people get those because they are lazy? Tons. Hoverround or whatever is here in my town ...
Used to not be allowed to advertise for it, or pharmaceuticals ... now you can =( ...

Back