• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I can't win

When people told me that gardening in the Midwest will involve combating several plagues at once, I figured that they had to be exaggerating. I mean, how bad could it be?

Okay, so, the answer is, oh, the horror.

:lol:

But seriously, when I control one problem, three others pop up. I'm not even talking about the aphids and flea beetles. I'm letting natural predators deal with them.

If I have at least one productive plant this season, I will consider this a personal victory.

Anyway, a few of the things I've been noticing on my plants as of late. I've started treating them with a copper fungicide, which seems to be helping, but still, this will probably be a season-long battle.

This one starts off as brown sunken circular spots on top of the leaf, which eventually form a sort of black halo with a white center. Often doesn't stay confined within veins. This hasn't been associated with any leaf drop yet, but this only started a few days ago:

IMGP0439.jpg

IMGP0440.jpg

What was originally affecting my pepper plants has moved on to my tomato plants. It was only a matter of time. This starts as angular brown-black depressions on the underside of the leaf that eventually show through on the top and dry in the sun. They are confined to interveinal areas. In extreme cases leaves will yellow and drop. This quickly defoliated most of my pepper plants, and I'm expecting the same result on the tomatoes.

IMGP0442.jpg

IMGP0441.jpg

This one has me very worried. So far it's only affecting my Rocoto plants, but I'm probably going to dispose of them anyway, because this doesn't look like something they'll easily recover from. Rather than affecting the leaf, this one shows up as brown, almost necrotic, strips along the stems and veins of the plant, resulting in extreme leaf curl.

IMGP0436.jpg

Any ideas?

Have you been using any foliage sprays? I had something similar on some of my plants and I think it was due to a foliage spray Earth Juice MicroBlast. Once I stopped the use of this product it has gone away.

Nope, no foliar sprays. Just a couple of applications of a neem oil/soap mixture, and the copper fungicide most recently, but that's it, otherwise I've left the leaves alone.

Generally, its "Copper for bacteria, Sulphur for fungus". That looks like the beginning of a fungal disease. It doesn't look bad though, ever try a sulhpur based spray? You can just about make them yourself, but a simple one to grab can probably be found at your local home and garden store. In a jam I buy stuff made by bonnide. They call it "fruit nut and orchard spray", its got a lil pyrethrins in it too for killing those damn aphids. :twisted: Depending on the source of sulphur and copper many commercial sprays are all natural and organic. That's all I use...organics. :)

Also, what are your watering habits? From above? These fungal and bacterial diseases are often times completely avoided by how carefully you water your plants. Splashing and spraying from above when you water will get this stuff all over the place! You see, the spores are everywhere in everyday life. Floating in the air, covering everything, and its just conditions that make them colonize. Humid, non-ventilated environment = bad. Constant air exchange and careful watering practices will keep this stuff in check every time. :)

one idea,
do not ever give up

you will be much more experienced if you do not stop the fight
the "problem" of growing stuff is we all live in a non sterile environment
it is a "GOOD THING that we do not live in a sterile environment"
there are also "good"{symbiotic even} things in this arena that without
we would not have JACK S

it is a balancing lesson when some thing is annoying us :crazy:
(but if some caterpillars show up KILL THEM ALL, with extreme prejudice)

mother nature has ways
of
dealing with these
{everything has it's time, and a little change in weather will likely liven up the next annoyance(s)}
and everything will probably turn out ok soon

I'm careful not to get water on the leaves when I fertilize, but thus far I haven't actually watered myself as it's been raining rather frequently. I'm not giving up, but I will be happy when rain isn't in the forecast every couple of days. It's contributing to the problem.

I'll pick up a sulfur-based product too just to be safe.

i am growing a few pubes also and (do not tell anyone)
there has been some mention of these being hard (very difficult) to grow

do not think that every thing is terminal for these

two that i am growing are at least two years old ( and i have been neglecting them )

these things "try hard" to grow FOR us! :dance:

{when i mess with newbies here i send them some pube seeds)

i figure they can learn better on the tougher ones ( and i think i do too ) :crazy:

Could be fungus or even bacteria, but I wouldn't be ruling out burns either (especially concerning the plant in the first two pics). From what I have observed, at least on my plants, is that bacteria does just the opposite to the plant in the second pic - i.e. the spots are dark with a yellow/white halo - and burns always seem to do what yours are doing. I really don't know though - I mean, I am just dealing with ONE type of bacteria out of who knows how many different types there are! :lol:

solutions to diseases:

water with compost tea, on the leaves and the dirt.

water with aspirin solution (water and aspirin) on the leaves only.

water with calcium bicarbonate / sodium bicarbonate on the leaves only.

water with diluted milk and water solution on the leaves and dirt.

at least that's what i do.

do a weekly spray / watering and you'd at least hold them off til you get something edible out of them. lol.

Back