• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant I.D. Bonnie habanero plant

Hey everybody this is my first post to this forum. About two months ago I bought two Bonnie plants labeled habanero from the co-op. They look nothing like normal habs, they are wrinkly and one has small spikes on it. I will tell y'all how they taste once they ripen. I will post pictures tommorow since it is dark out now.

Yep - I've got one plant I picked up since I had a late start from seeds this year and figured at least I'd get some habaneros that way and it looks the same as well --- Sure would be nice if they would label them as such ie. "Spartacus Habanero" rather than just selling them as "Habanero" so buyers cold decide if it was what they wanted or not before buying.

Hab01_zpskrhcnpqs.png

hotpeppaharry said:
yup, looks like i got the same mislabeled bonnie habanero..looks pretty cool tho  :cool:
According to Bonnie's it is not a mis-label but a hybrid habanero they are now selling and they do not list hybrids they only label by general breed (ie. all varieties of Habaneros are sold merely as "Habanero" whether they are the original habanero or the hybrid "Spartacus habanero"  even though they are not even similar looking and the plant tag shows an pic of a normal smooth skinned orange hab rather then these thicker walled bumpy pods. Around here everyone uses the normal orange habs that they can buy at any store in the area so I'm sure Bonnies is getting plenty of complaints about mis-labeled plants they were sold.

Wouldn't mind it if the plant tag actually mentioned it was a hybrid ( designed to be more disease resistant and heavy producer) and had correct pics of what was gonna grow, but when you are expecting a normal orange hab (like in the left of the pic below) and you get these (right side of pic) it kinda feels like something you bought off EBAY rather than a large seed company like Bonnies - and when wanting some normal looking orange habs and thinking that is what you bought it's a bit disappointing when they start producing something completely different !

habs_zpsqrm65x2o.png

Back