• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting I finally have something to harvest too: Jalapeno

IMG_2489.jpg

Took some time before they became ripe. I remember taking a small one off and that one was quite bitter. I don't know how green jalapeno are supposed to taste and pods didn't all form at the same time. I know most people prefer them green. How do I know when to harvest them? So far I think it's best to wait till they are red. Will make them hotter, softer and less bitter.

Haven't tried one yet. I think I will put the partial red ones on pizza tomorrow.

For next year I have various Habanero, Aji Umba red, Chihuacle Negro and some supermarket Cayenne. Any suggestions what to add to that? As a vegetarian I like to make dishes made out of pure vegetables. Another milder pepper with good taste may be nice. I hear Chihuacle Negro has quite a peculiar taste but I don't know how it compares to Poblano and other similar peppers. Something that is quite fleshy and not merely a bell pepper with mild hotness would be nice.

Any suggestions?

MOST JALS ARE TRULY RIPE WHEN RED AND WILL HAVE SMALL BROWNISH CRACKS IN THEM
there are some species that do not crack but the standard is when they are completely red, they taste better this way and will have a slight sweetness especially when you roast them

HOPE THIS HELPS
THANKS YOUR FRIEND JOE

Back