I had my Yellow 7s SHU Tested

I sent a batch of my Yellow 7s for SHU testing.  They came in at 519,400 Scoville Heat Units.  At first, I was a little disappointed in the result, thinking that they would be closer to 1 million SHU, but this is way too much fun to get upset about.  It does show however, that there are big heat variances within the same types of Peppers, as this is hotter than many red Bhuts that I've eaten.

they may not be the hottest but they sure got a great flavor and aroma , and not a melt ur face of burn   , i love em'     :onfire:     

primal13 said:
Did you send in a dryed or fresh pod? Pretty cool you send them something and get it tested.
I sent them a number of fresh Pods.
joogiebop509 said:
How much does the testing cost?
$61.00 - $50.00 for the test.  $11.00 for dehydrating and making powder for the testing.

dragon49 said:
I sent them a number of fresh Pods.
$61.00 - $50.00 for the test.  $11.00 for dehydrating and making powder for the testing.
that's not to bad at all had it in my head it was much more expensive that's awesome

scovilles are irrelevant in my book. The hottest pod to you might not be the hottest pod to me, a habanero might whoop yo ass harder than a ghost, you might get cramps after eating a tabasco pepper and then be fine after eating a scotch bonnet. I ignore scoville ratings these days. :cool:

Wow this is really cool! Although it worries me because my yellow 7 pots are brutal, nearly as hot as my reapers. Now I'm thinking I grew some sissy reapers, rather than brutal yellow 7 pots hahaha

That's a lot cheaper than I expected. Was there a minimum weight of pods you had to send? Were they all from a single plant?
it seems to me that if you had an official document stating the average SHU of a certain pepper you grew, you could use that as a selling point for your pods or product made with said pods.
That and bragging rights :dance:

sirex said:
How long did the entire process take?
Once the Lab had the Peppers, I got the results in 3 days.

Hawaiianero said:
That's a lot cheaper than I expected. Was there a minimum weight of pods you had to send? Were they all from a single plant?
it seems to me that if you had an official document stating the average SHU of a certain pepper you grew, you could use that as a selling point for your pods or product made with said pods.
That and bragging rights :dance:
The pods were all from the same plant.  I don't remember the minimum weight requirements - I'll try to find the correspondence. 

Justaguy said:
Capsaisinoid content is something I would like to see
Is this what you are looking for?  

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Did you have to send fresh or could you send the dried and save money? :) I have the home wrecker I want to have tested.
You can save $11.00 by sending them your own powder, but, it must be powder—They will charge the same $11.00 to make powder from dried pods.

What is the homewrecker?

Back