• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

I HATE IT WHEN STUFF GOES TO HELL BEFORE IT SHOULD!

skullbiker

Extreme Member
So I had a low tire on my truck the other day. I aired it up and a couple of days later it was low again so I started spraying it with soapy water to see if I had gotten a nail or something in it......................................
OH, HELL NO, it is leaking out the weather cracks in the sidewall, Then yesterday another one was leaking......YEP.......same crap. So now I am changing 4 tires on my truck and they have about 1/2 to 2/3 tread left. bummer. I put about 5000 miles a year on this truck and stuff still goes to hell. OK done with my ranting.

3A4E988A-E5E8-4906-8539-A80BAE94D5C1.jpeg

CAF062B5-DF3E-40CE-9F80-ED54F81F159A.jpeg

68B2C909-8C49-43CC-9D03-54952DF510D8.jpeg

How old are the tires? I had the same thing happen to a set of Michelins on my truck. Tread still looks almost new, but the tires are 20 years old.

Wow [emoji50] that sucks! Did you use any of those tire shine products on them ? I’ve heard that tire shine products, will cause premature aging and deteriorating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I can see, those tyres look very old. You should be able to tell how old by some of the numbers on the sidewall.

Cross reference from Coopers website here: http://us.coopertire.com/safety/sidewalls/tire-identification-number.aspx

I'd be interested to know exactly how old they are. FWIW, it does suck when you don't get to run a set of tyres all the way down. Having said that, I'd definitely be doing a few burn outs before changing them out  :rofl: .

Uncle_Eccoli said:
I use Coopers, too.  Ever had them before these?

These were on the truck when I bought it used in 2015. And, will NOT have them again.

sicman said:
Looks dry rotted.?.

Oh yeah, they are rotten all right, in every way!

Sawyer said:
How old are the tires? I had the same thing happen to a set of Michelins on my truck. Tread still looks almost new, but the tires are 20 years old.

By the code these are 8 years old.

texas blues said:
People don't think.

That carbon based oil products.

Be like they is.

But they do.
But they did not used to be as bad.

PtMD989 said:
Wow [emoji50] that sucks! Did you use any of those tire shine products on them ? Ive heard that tire shine products, will cause premature aging and deteriorating.

I dont know what the previous owner did, but the dealer had it on them when I bought it. I dont use the stuff myself.

Shorerider said:
From what I can see, those tyres look very old. You should be able to tell how old by some of the numbers on the sidewall.Cross reference from Coopers website here: http://us.coopertire.com/safety/sidewalls/tire-identification-number.aspxI'd be interested to know exactly how old they are. FWIW, it does suck when you don't get to run a set of tyres all the way down. Having said that, I'd definitely be doing a few burn outs before changing them out  :rofl: .
Looks like they were manufactured the 30th week of 2011, making them just under 8 years old. I dont dare risk breaking the truck right now doing burn outs(although I would like to). I did some superb burnouts with the 1970 Torino Cobra that I previously owned for 21 years(replaced rear tires often on that one).

Date Code:

CCEB7C85-D784-440D-8227-A27BA877B915.jpeg

Me in the super burnout machine about 1980(for you young guys that was a long time ago).

F8AFD9D0-0894-46CC-A3A4-3CCAB487DB0B.jpeg

Just as a final thought, I have a couple of old 2 wheel trailers with tires on them from the late 80s and they are not cracked as badly. I think the early failure is designed into many new products to drive up sales. There were a few things that were made better in the past. My opinion, yours may differ.

So sorry ..car issues are a bummer...still can't get over my 1996 Crown Vic... cars were made so much better.
Feel like taking a trip to Florida & picking out a 2011 Mercury Grand  Marquis with < 30,000 mls..all the old folks there
own them & them the inevitable happens & they end up on many lots for  the picking.don't mind those panther cars,real
strong American cars..not some piece of junk that last for 5 yrs then........

Tire pressure (s)..hope you find a fix real soon...SB. ;)

I bought a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revos in C load range for +/- $750 mounted on a '98 Dodge Ram at a Tires Plus in 2002...I'll be damned if those hoops didn't last 8 years before the tread got down to 1/4" and the tread started cracking.

The wife bought a set of BF Googluck ATs for her '99 Blazer from WallyWorld that lasted a year and a half.

My local mech sez the best all-around truck tire for the price is the Firestone Winterforce. I can't argue, because in 2010 I bought a set to replace the Duelers for $500 (C-load again, mounted, balanced, out the door), and those damned tires are STILL spinning on that Ram today...

Hey SB, you thought about trying some of that flat-fix, sticky spray sealer crap? Might buy you a few more miles.

nothing made nowadays is as good as it was years ago. with tires i`ve had good luck and bad luck. in the past i had good luck with goodyear and bridgestone. my current car came with Pirelli P6 which are pricey but they were great. i replaced with lesser cost tires and they don`t last. everything is disposable these days. we used to get our TV fixed. now you throw it out and get a new one. another example is refrigerators. my wife and i as a young couple bought a 18 cu. ft. Frigidaire when we first started our family. it worked like a champ for us but a couple of years ago my wife decided it was too small so she got an LG 23 cu. ft. and we put the old one in the basement. two years later we realize the new one is a POS and the old one is in the basement running like a champ. the new one doesn't hold the temp well and the frost free feature is garbage. we need to manually defrost it on a regular basis. my point is that things will probably only get worse, not better. 

wiriwiri said:
So sorry ..car issues are a bummer...still can't get over my 1996 Crown Vic... cars were made so much better.
Feel like taking a trip to Florida & picking out a 2011 Mercury Grand  Marquis with < 30,000 mls..all the old folks there
own them & them the inevitable happens & they end up on many lots for  the picking.don't mind those panther cars,real
strong American cars..not some piece of junk that last for 5 yrs then........

Tire pressure (s)..hope you find a fix real soon...SB. ;)
Things are looking up, I picked up a set of near new Goodyear Wrangler Kevlars off of Craigslist pretty cheap, I mount and balance them myself so only the tire cost is involved.

Glad you got those...& hope they last a while...in the garage hopefully ...we have 3 cars so one gets left out ..
we put  tire covers on the one outside  & it sure helps.."thou it's a pain in the neck..& if  I forget I get ticketed . ;)

Back