• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I hate transplanting!!!

Well, like the title says I hate transplanting! I dont recommend transplanting after watering either! That is what I did and my plant lossed atleast half the potting mix around the roots!!! The leaves are very droopy right now! Do you think my plant will make it???

Hi Megahot.

I'm new to this forum but not repotting.
Watering a bit before transplanting has always helped me. It actually kept things together.
I recently overwaterd some plants and they got limp but came back after leaving them alone.

Best of luck!

sounds like your plant didn't have a big enough root ball to be transplanted...

I could see some roots coming out of the bottom of the pot. I didnt have this problem at all when I transplanted them when the potting mix was dry

ok im no help here...but i like to ask some question for transplanting...for peat pellets when is the right time to transplant them to a new container?

Well, like the title says I hate transplanting! I dont recommend transplanting after watering either! That is what I did and my plant lossed atleast half the potting mix around the roots!!! The leaves are very droopy right now! Do you think my plant will make it???

As long as you didn't break the taproot, it should be fine. If you snapped off some of the ancillary roots it'll probably get shocked and take a little while to recover. Losing some of that soil around the roots is probably a good thing. It gets them freed up and ready to spread through the new pot.

I water after I transplant them. I was taught that when I was a child. Not sure if that is correct though. You don't need rootball to transplant. I transplanted a sick plant because I couldn't tell if it was overwatered or if it was suffering from fertilizer burn. It's doing very well now. I watered it very slightly after putting it in its new soil.

As long as you didn't break the taproot, it should be fine... It gets them freed up and ready to spread through the new pot.

Depicted below...

Transplant.jpg

Lack of desire to pot up or at least not as often is why I germinate in the dark and let my sprouts get 2-3 inches tall. Bury them til just about 1/8 inch is showing in deep 6 cell pack and they are good. Last year They went from them to the garden. This year I may have to pot some up due to doubling my lights and starting a month earlier, but I will adjust. I think 1 pot up isn't too bad compared to what I see in some GLOGS.

Peppers are very resilent, give yours some time and I'm sure it will be fine.

I usually pot up three times. Germinate in 3oz cups, move up to 20oz cups when the seedling has 4-6 true leaves, 1 gallon when the roots start escaping via the holes in the bottom of the cup then the final pot up to 5-7 gallon pots when they go outside.

Lack of desire to pot up or at least not as often is why I germinate in the dark and let my sprouts get 2-3 inches tall. Bury them til just about 1/8 inch is showing in deep 6 cell pack and they are good. Last year They went from them to the garden. This year I may have to pot some up due to doubling my lights and starting a month earlier, but I will adjust. I think 1 pot up isn't too bad compared to what I see in some GLOGS.

i try to do it as little as possible as well. i start in 72's and will move the ones i intend to sell into 3.5 inch pots as well as my "early" crop which goes from the 3.5's into 3 gallon pots in the greenhouse. the vast majority go straight from the 72's to the ground.

i have 100 or so to move to 3.5's right now but i'm putting it off by sitting here on the innerwebs.

the taproot is the big central root which grows downward with the smaller roots growing off of it.

I just transplanted some month old plants that are in jiffy pellets. Some had two plants per pellet and I successfully separated them, with both surviving. They looked stressed and droopy for a day or so, but have sprung back - can't tell them from those that were singles.

I always water my plants with a dilute seaweed/kelp solution before and after transplanting my plants. Helps to stop any transplant shock, and the moisture keeps the rootball together IMO.

I always water my plants with a dilute seaweed/kelp solution before and after transplanting my plants. Helps to stop any transplant shock, and the moisture keeps the rootball together IMO.

Hmmm interesting! Thanks for the good info, I will have to try that

I have done a lot worse and the plants were fine. I think the benefits of potting up and fresh soil eclipse any transplant shock costs. I am kind of rough with my roots.

Back