• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

I hate waiting

For seeds to sprout. Last winter, it took 5-6 days for my tomato seeds to pop through the potting mix, now it is taking 12-15.

Two possible reasons come to mind, as I am doing the exact same thing as far as sowing them.

1) Seed germination rates and times decline over time. I have read that some seeds have about a nine month viability time, which means seeds harvested in September/October last year are at the end of their potent stage.

2) Potting mix. I used Ferti-lome and it was very moist back in January and February. It has dried out somewhat over the months but it holds water as well as ever. I wonder if some microorganisms or such that contribute to germination have perished.

3) I know, I said two, but... The ambient room temp back then was the lower 70's/upper 60's. Now it is the mid-80's/lower 90's. Perhaps, combined with other factors, a contributing factor?

4) I keep thinking of things! All the seeds I sowed last year came from Baker Creek Seeds (rareseeds.com) but Randell is out of seeds I want now. The seeds I have the worst germination rates (20 percent and 17 percent) are from Ed Hume seeds - I bought banana pepper seeds from him last winter and they were the worst in terms of germination. The latest seeds are from Tomatogrowers and neseeds. I sowed them six days ago but they are all hybrids whereas the ones from Baker Creek were heirlooms. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I do know I wish they would poke their hoods through the soil and join the race!

Mike

Back