• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling I made pickles yesterday

cone9

Extreme Member
I love sweet hot pickles.  Some of own grow will go there when ripe but for now I had to buy some peppers to use up a few ready pickles.

In the jars:  Homemade Pickles, Mexican Sour Gherkins, Sweet D onion, Yellow Bell, Giant Eagle Peppers(Orange Hab, Jalapeno, Red Serano)

Picked some my MS Gherkins and Homemade Pickles:

End result:

Now I just need a few weeks of patience until I get to try them!

i made some garlic dill spears yesterday.  I make around 30 jars a year of different types of pickles.  I can't stand the store bought ones.  What kind of cucumbers are those ones in the first pick?

The Mexican Sour Gherkins (I got them from http://www.rareseeds.com/) don't get very big.  They are very crisp with a slight lemon sour taste up front then straight cucumber taste.  Firm skin and lots of seed but quite tasty.  I grew them with the intention to pickle them - will see in a few weeks how the sweet hots turn out.  I'll dill some as soon as some more of my pickles are ready to go.

Those would be cool to grow they are on my seed list for next year I meant to get them this year but never got around to it

Very nice!  Do you pierce the skin of those little gherkins, or does the acid penetrate enough to pickle them properly without any assistance?

I've got Persian cucumbers this year, but there's no way they're getting pickled---they come off the plant and get eaten fresh, within a matter of minutes.  The Mexican sour gherkins are definitely in next year's plans.

-NT

This is my first time growing/pickling the Mex Gherkins.  I did not piece the skin as they are so small.  I'll know how they do in a few weeks when I'll open a jar.  I only did 4 pints just to test them out in a new sweet-hot recipe.

I made standard Dills and Dilly Beans on Saturday.  I threw half of a Yellow 7 Pot in some of the jars of Dilly Beans.

IMG_20130728_132550_939_zpsa432007f.jpg

Speaking of pickles, I gave a friend a Japanese cucumber plant that I use for Thai cuc salad and he had a bunch of my 2012 pepper blend so he made pickles.

995436_10201040953059417_1241601394_n.jpg

Speaking of this----- I did a test grow of cucumbers.
Funky strip of paper with the seeds embedded, and a couple of Japanese plants.
Flowering alloverdaplace.

Will prolly have a bumper crop, and will most likely have to chip them instead of whole.

Best simple recipe and method I can add my own "special" ingredients to for a sweet and non sweet pickle?

Be assured, some peppers will be involved in most jars.

Back